coop design questions

Pics
Started the coop build.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_155529790.jpg
    IMG_20210410_155529790.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 5
@aart How do you figure out how much sq ft of ventilation in the soffit area (think that is what it is called. :) ) We now have the roof framed, haven't put the plywood on yet. The boards are 2x4 with the 4" side going up but it does "clip" on the top of the side walls. Then of course they are spaced 16" apart. So would each one be around 2 sq ft? (16'x around 3" high?) Just want to be sure I have enough ventilation. There will also be big vents on the other ends.

@aart How do you figure out how much sq ft of ventilation in the soffit area (think that is what it is called. :) ) We now have the roof framed, haven't put the plywood on yet. The boards are 2x4 with the 4" side going up but it does "clip" on the top of the side walls. Then of course they are spaced 16" apart. So would each one be around 2 sq ft? (16'x around 3" high?) Just want to be sure I have enough ventilation. There will also be big vents on the other ends.
16" x 3" = 48sqin = 0.33sqft
If your rafters are 2x4's spaced at 16"oc,
the openings are probably smaller than 16"(~13"?),
measure the opening to get exact numbers.

16" x 3" = 48sqin = 0.33sqft
If your rafters are 2x4's spaced at 16"oc,
the openings are probably smaller than 16"(~13"?),
measure the opening to get exact numbers.
ok asked my husband they are 14.5" in between each 2x4. I can post a pic of the roof as it is now with no plywood on it. the 2" side is down on the top of the walls and the 4" side goes up so that space is bigger. There are 6 "holes" on each side so 12 total (since the overhang is only on 2 sides).

Might consider adding fly rafters on the gable ends for more protected gable vents.
my husband works in HVAC so we were going to use the louvered type of vents that are used in houses and attics so rain or nothing should be able to get in. Would that work with out fly rafters?

and would we have enough ventilation with the vents on the gable end (he has huge vents at his work so they will be large) and then the soffit vents? Windows will also be there but if we close those up in winter I want to be sure I have enough ventilation.

Would that work with out fly rafters?
Probably.

and would we have enough ventilation with the vents on the gable end (he has huge vents at his work so they will be large) and then the soffit vents?
Probably....might depend on how many birds you have in there.
Adding a ridge vent would be good too.

and would we have enough ventilation with the vents on the gable end (he has huge vents at his work so they will be large) and then the soffit vents? Windows will also be there but if we close those up in winter I want to be sure I have enough ventilation.

An HVAC man should be able to figure out the square footage of the ventilation easily. You want a minimum of 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 per adult, standard-sized hen, plus the extra, seasonal ventilation from windows that will be closed in the winter.

AS @U_Stormcrow says, it needs to be ventilated like a bathroom or kitchen -- plenty of airflow to remove moisture.

An HVAC man should be able to figure out the square footage of the ventilation easily. You want a minimum of 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 per adult, standard-sized hen, plus the extra, seasonal ventilation from windows that will be closed in the winter.

AS @U_Stormcrow says, it needs to be ventilated like a bathroom or kitchen -- plenty of airflow to remove moisture.
He probably can but I wasn't sure if the soffits counted the whole thing or how that worked since it is under the roof overhang and then the openings. so didn't know if you just counted the open area in the soffits or if the overhang counted in it at all or what.

Back
Top Bottom