Coop design questions

I'm designing my own coop and building as I go.

1. I have poured a concrete floor for the run. After reading numerous threads in here I'm still confused if I'm supposed to cover the concrete with something that's changed out frequently. We will have 5-6 hens. Do I cover concrete floor with pine shavings and DE? How often does that get changed?
I would put in something, to keep the poop from stinking and to give the chickens something to scratch through.

If it smells bad, add more dry material (wood chips, wood shavings, hay or straw, dry leaves, etc.)

I would try to let it build up at least 6 inches deep, and probably quite a bit more than than. But at some point it will be so deep it's a nuisance, so take out some or all of it (compost for your garden) and then continue adding more.

I would also put in anything that might normally go in a compost pile-- weeds from the garden, eggshells and watermelon rinds and other stuff from the kitchen, and so forth. The chickens will eat some of the stuff and scratch around in the rest. And over time, earthworms will move in and the chickens can eat them too.

If it gets matted down, you can turn part of it over with a pitchfork or shovel to make it easier for the chickens to scratch through. Hay and straw seem to mat more easily than wood chips or shavings, and shredded paper usually mats quite badly unless it is mixed with lots of other materials. Wood chips probably work better than any other single thing, but a mixture of materials usually works better yet.

Different people do things differently, so I'm just saying what I would do.

Got a drawing or sketch of what you're building?
There are lots of different ways to arrange things,
some work well for some but not for others.
Here's some tips about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Oh, and......Welcome to BYC! @3chickinns
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2570578
I’m so thankful for such a detailed thoughtful reply! This is such a great community!

I changed my location in my account now. I’m in Los Angeles, CA.

The post you linked is super helpful. I have attached some pictures. I’m just designing as I go and working on the coop section currently. The 2 nesting boxes are on the bottom and the top shelf will be closed off storage. I’ll have the wall open as a door for easy clean up. I think after seeing these examples and height suggestions, I’ll creat an “L” shape with roost and poop trays for easy clean up.
7A4735C0-3F61-435C-9277-7D802AA27DD4.jpeg
DFB2C5AD-D4B0-464C-A5D5-0876A52A73A2.jpeg
1F0446AA-0806-42B6-988D-E0150872E2EC.jpeg

I would put in something, to keep the poop from stinking and to give the chickens something to scratch through.

If it smells bad, add more dry material (wood chips, wood shavings, hay or straw, dry leaves, etc.)

I would try to let it build up at least 6 inches deep, and probably quite a bit more than than. But at some point it will be so deep it's a nuisance, so take out some or all of it (compost for your garden) and then continue adding more.

I would also put in anything that might normally go in a compost pile-- weeds from the garden, eggshells and watermelon rinds and other stuff from the kitchen, and so forth. The chickens will eat some of the stuff and scratch around in the rest. And over time, earthworms will move in and the chickens can eat them too.

If it gets matted down, you can turn part of it over with a pitchfork or shovel to make it easier for the chickens to scratch through. Hay and straw seem to mat more easily than wood chips or shavings, and shredded paper usually mats quite badly unless it is mixed with lots of other materials. Wood chips probably work better than any other single thing, but a mixture of materials usually works better yet.

Different people do things differently, so I'm just saying what I would do.
Thank you so much! I’m learning so much in this group and really excited!

Got a drawing or sketch of what you're building?
There are lots of different ways to arrange things,
some work well for some but not for others.
Here's some tips about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Oh, and......Welcome to BYC! @3chickinns
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2570578
my run is huge. i just got rid of 1800 gallons of bedding and now the coop is bare. my nesting boxes are community style back roll outs. i switched to boards. i have 2x6’s below the roosts. i have forced air ventilation from 7 am to 7 pm. the chickens are mostly outside all day. the only reason i changed was because 2-3 birds were laying on the floor after 6 months...now...none. i was done with then laying on the floor. i live in a temperate climate and we don’t need bedding...or the hassle.

my run is huge. i just got rid of 1800 gallons of bedding and now the coop is bare. my nesting boxes are community style back roll outs. i switched to boards. i have 2x6’s below the roosts. i have forced air ventilation from 7 am to 7 pm. the chickens are mostly outside all day. the only reason i changed was because 2-3 birds were laying on the floor after 6 months...now...none. i was done with then laying on the floor. i live in a temperate climate and we don’t need bedding...or the hassle.
my laying hen coop is only 12x12...but they are outside all day and i only have 24...so ample space to roost, eat, drink and lay.

Back
Top Bottom