Coop Design?

rkanani

Hatching
Jun 17, 2021
I am new here... and I read that there are 1000s of coop designs somewhere on this site, but I haven't been able to find them yet. Where are they? Can someone put a link? Thanks.

Good luck with your build. What state are you in? a coop in shade in the south is a plus. A coop in sun in the north is warmer. Ventilation is a must. Easy cleaning will make your life much easier. A walk in run where you dont have to stoop will save your back. Most cute coops with tiny runs will look like crap in 10 days. Don't go by looks!

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, particularly when building a coop. Also, how many chickens do you want to have?

The Usual Guidelines say that for each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Not all of the articles in the chicken coop section have plans, but many do.

My Little Monitor Coop is designed to meet the minimums for a small flock of 4 hens and has plans. A competent handyman could easily expand the design to a 4x6 to house 6 hens or to 4x8 for 8 hens by lengthening the axis along the monitor but should move the access door to the middle of the long wall to make cleaning possible. Bigger than that should be walk-in.

Back
Top Bottom