1. AJsCityChicks

AJsCityChicks In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Here is what I came up with for my coop design... it's not letting me post pics, so
    16x16 building 12x16 run off the back
    6x16 Right side lg coop with half wall-top wire, nesting boxes, roost, pop, feeders
    middle open/clean floor -back wall- 4x4 table top for incubators- brooder on the bottom
    Left side 3x2 cages(8) for rabbits in the winter

Or change the left side and make a 4x6 sm coop to the back and only have (6) 3x2 cages on the left (incubators and broader still in the middle)

Which one should I go with? Any suggestions or should I do something different??
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    How many birds you plannin on? Can you just make a larger run for them? It may be easier to do, and they can all hang together. Put a roost on the run too. Mine have enjoyed thiers. Can''t wait for pics......

3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    You should be able to post pics soon. Just keep posting.

I too have a large building. It is a constant work in progress. See my BYC page for what I started with.

Mine is split in two lengthwise. Each side has an enclosed nesting area with raised wood floor. and a larger, dirt floored roosting area. It is nice to have the flexibility of two areas and the dirt floored area is each to clean out with a shovel or pitchfork each Spring. In between cleanings, I just rake it.

4. AJsCityChicks

Mar 6, 2011
    We could make the run 16x16?? The building is off the ground so I was thinking about making a poop door in the coop area to sweep the shavings out into a wheel barrel or bucket. The floor will be vinyl.

Another idea is to put the coop in the back (6x16) and divide it in to coops(6x8)... then put the bunny cages to the front of the wire wall, doors on both sides and maybe put the broader under the rabbit poop tray? or on the front wall... wish I could post pics of my design on paper!! I'll be taking pic of the building this after noon too.

5. AJsCityChicks

Mar 6, 2011
    My DH was thinking about putting some wire around the bottom of the building and letting the chicks get under there also... but I thought the hens may start laying under there?? it's close to 3ft off the ground. Also going to come off the back with a roof for them to get out of the rain the rest will be open.

not sure how many chickens yet... how many do you think this would house?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:You are very likely to regret that. 16x16 is way too big to put up on blocks and expect it to be stable. Different parts will settle/shift differently, pretty soon the whole thing will be at best highly-cattywhompus and at worst actually coming apart at the seams.

If you are going to build it that big, you need either a foundation (or slab) under stud walls, or to use pole-building construction with your posts VERY WELL sunk (3' or more, and well-tamped). I would suggest avoiding a free-span construction, too, as with a 16' span that would require signficantly more 'serious' engineering/materials.

If you are determined to build something with that square footage up on blocks, you are better off making it narrower, like no more than 8-10' wide and then however long it takes to get the same square footage. It will still settle unevenly and get cattywhompus but because of being narrower the consequences will mainly be just along the long axis and not as bad. (I still wouldn't do it myself though).

Just a heads-up, good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. AJsCityChicks

Mar 6, 2011
    Its a existing building its about 18 inches not 3ft...lol but to a short girl:lau its 3ft! Its an old army bunker so its pretty sturdy/settled been there for a long time now being used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: