Coop door help

scooter147

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
The human door on my chicken coop needs replacing, the bottom is rotting. It is a economy brand standard exterior door that you would put on your house. I never did like the thing but it worked at the time

I am wanting something like this
images

1. I am willing to buy but can't find it anywhere.
2. I am not the most handy guy but do have help if need be. I've been to the home stores (Home Depot, Rural King, Tractor Supply) and can find exterior wood in various sized but I really want tongue and groove to keep out the weather and that seems like I am asking for a Unicorn when shopping for a horse. And of course even with checkbook out they can't/won't tongue and grove for me.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

I have an old door just like that on my new coop (the guy who built it for me had the door lying around).

Yes the boards need some filler as they have shrunk with age. I love the way that old door looks plus it is built like fort knox so I don't have to worry that my dogs could break through it.

If it were me I might finish the edges with a water proof sealant before putting all the boards together (to keep water from soaking in between the wood and causing to swell/shrink) then use some type of good waterproof filler/sealant to fill in any gaps between the boards (waterproof wall patch or maybe even silicone?).

I am still painting the coop with waterproof stuff...it isn't done yet. I think I will wait until fall to seal the door though, the weather will be hot all summer and the extra air will be nice.

If you are obsessed with the tongue and groove idea maybe you should hang out on some woodworking sites, find out what tool to buy and carve the boards yourself (though it likely isn't worth it).

Last edited:
I am not aware of any easily purchased tongue and groove wood like you are looking for, especially from the big box stores, You could easily make a door that looks like that from 1x6x8 cedar fence pickets. They would weather to a natural grey. If any of your friends have a router and router table, you can buy a tongue and groove router bits and rout the pickets yourself. It is easy but you need the router and table and bits.

Back
Top Bottom