coop door open or closed at night?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PHILMAN, May 26, 2011.

1. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Hi ,
    It has been getting quit warm at night here in New Jersey and I know that the coop where I keep the chicks at night will be great in winter time . But what about summer time when it gets really hot at night I dont have a window that I can open for them . There is openings at the underside of the roof that allows air to circulate . Can I let the door open and let them walk in and out if they want ? I'm not worried to much about anything getting at them they are enclosed pretty good .
    Thanks for your help. Phil:idunno

2. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Phil,

You're right chickens can take cold better than heat.

You need to add windows to your shed.

I installed these windows in my shed . . . without cutting any 2x4 studs.

14" x 27"
    Safety Glass
    White or Brown
    Flush Mount or J-channel Mount
    $33.00 ea
    Lot of 4 $129.95

Here is a link: http://www.shedwindowsandmore.com/shedwindows.html

Also. most sheds have a vents at the roof peaks . . . I replaced mine with new vents . . . the largest that would fit.

As important as keeping heat down is providing ventilation to keep the smell and humidity down [birds' lungs are more sensitive than humans.]

Kevin

PS:> My shed had a soffit on the front. I completely removed the soffit and replaced it with small hardware cloth. The shed is MUCH cooler. The hardware cloth keeps critters out.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Phil,

Just a friendly word of caution . . . . about predators.

Raccoons and other critters will eventually find your flock and kill birds.
    During the day [if the birds free range] you will eventually loose birds to hawks.

The windows I installed did come with screens - which I left installed to keep flies out, etc.
    But eventually raccoons will attempt a 'breakin' and those screens won't keep them out - so I've cover the windows with hardware cloth.

Soon I will complete an attached run behind the shed . . . which a wire roof to keep hawks out.

That's what I did . . . let's see if other feel all this is necessary.

Kevin

4. PHILMAN

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Great advice ! thanks i guess I have alot of work ahead of me !

Phil

5. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I agree with Kevin. It is better to lock the girls up tight in a modified coop, then leave the door open and invite predators in.

6. PHILMAN

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Thanks its going to be rough though . Its not that big of a coop . [​IMG]

7. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I leave the pop door open 24/7 in the warmer months & it leads into a secure run. No critter is gettin' in unless it has bolt cutters! The girls like the freedom to stay out late & be up @ the crack of dawn & not have to wait for me to open their pop door.
    Hope that helps you!

8. PHILMAN

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    blueberrychicken ,
    Now thats the answer i was looking for I do have a run that's enclosed and you would need cutters to get in . .... Or maybe a shovel ? but i dont think thats going to happen . i will try to leave the door open and see what happens .

Thanks Phil

9. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    This is the week my coop door starts staying open, the run they are in is lovingly (or jokingly) called by my family 'Fort Henny' The only worry I have is thunderstorms, because two of them like to sleep on top of the coop, but the roof is covered in chicken wire and a heavey tarp. Last summer everything was fine, and we were all much happier NOT waiting on me to get up and open the door. I work a late shift.

When the lows at night are 70s' and humidity is high, I am miserable, and since I have confidence in my run, I don't see a reason to shut them in.

10. PHILMAN

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Me too Harvey![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by