COOP DOOR WEIGHT

mpoland33

Songster
Mar 16, 2016
FREDERICK COUNTY MARYLAND
What does everyone use for their weight if you're making a pulley system for your coop door? I don't have a lot of room to add one. I made my roof too low and it just barely hits 12" high without a weight...but I definitely need one

What does everyone use for their weight if you're making a pulley system for your coop door? I don't have a lot of room to add one. I made my roof too low and it just barely hits 12" high without a weight...but I definitely need one
Are you talking about weight added on to the door to make it heavy enough to pull back down? I just attached a 2x4 to the inside of the door and ran the cord down to that. The weight of the plywood door + 2x4 attached is heavy enough to pull it down. If you're talking about making it heavy enough that a predator can't lift it open, I just designed mine to drop into a slot so nothing could get under it and lift it up.

If you're talking about making it heavy enough that a predator can't lift it open, I just designed mine to drop into a slot so nothing could get under it and lift it up.
This^^^ plus a rod to keep it from being lifted.

I have a loop in cord that I hook around a screw to hold it open.

@mpoland33 got a pic? that would help.

This is the best I got. But yes, talking about a weight to pull the door down. My problem is the plywoood door lifts up fine but angles when pulled up and kind of wedges so it doesnt come back down. I really don't even need a cleat because it jams there. its not coming straight up i guess.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 20
  • zzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzz.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 20
its not coming straight up i guess.
Yep, that's the problem.
If you use a rope to raise a sliding door, the rope need to be centered in door and the pulley above door also needs to be centered.....or it will pull door at an angle and jam in the slider framing.

A weight will not help, you need to 'get it centered'....and maybe squared.
I do not see a rope or pulleys in the interior pic?

Back
Top Bottom