coop ended up smaller than I planned

Kyguylal

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
Hi all, I started building my coop and it ended up framing in smaller than I expected.

We have 7 golden comet chicks, should end up with all hens.

The coop ended up coming in at 14 square feet and is built in a way which I can't find a way to extend the area. The run is quite large and they'll be free ranging 5 days a week full time and 2 days a week part time.

They're a smaller breed, maxing out around 4lbs, but I'm very concerned about the coop ending up smaller than I had planned.

I could add another 5 s.f. by putting a shelf in there along with thier roosting perches, but thats the best I could come up with.

Should I tear this down and start over, or do you think they'll be okay given that they're smaller than most full size chickens?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
Premium Feather Member
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi all, I started building my coop and it ended up framing in smaller than I expected.

We have 7 golden comet chicks, should end up with all hens.

The coop ended up coming in at 14 square feet and is built in a way which I can't find a way to extend the area. The run is quite large and they'll be free ranging 5 days a week full time and 2 days a week part time.

They're a smaller breed, maxing out around 4lbs, but I'm very concerned about the coop ending up smaller than I had planned.

I could add another 5 s.f. by putting a shelf in there along with thier roosting perches, but thats the best I could come up with.

Should I tear this down and start over, or do you think they'll be okay given that they're smaller than most full size chickens?
If you add the 5 sq ft maybe.

What's your climate like???

Kyguylal

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
Here's a photo. I'm thinking I could add a couple legs and add on to the back of the coop another couple of feet which would bring me to 22 s.f.

I would just need to figure out the roof after that.

Think that's a good idea? Other option would be to add to the front and make it into a salt box roof.

P.s. - don't mind my shotty construction. I'm no carpenter.

20200602_165326.jpg

Kyguylal

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
That's the biggest problem.
4sqft per bird doesn't work too well when there's a blizzard raging outside.
Add to coop space and build a larger predator and weather proof run.

Thats what we were thinking. This year was mild and we got snow from October until early May.

I'm adding to it today with a clerestory roof. Found a way to make it about 35 s.f. the run is quite large ending up around 200 s.f. and partially roofed. Predator proofing is a concern now because I picked up a bear on my cameras less than a mile from home. We're in a residential area, but the bears don't seem to care anymore. Resident foxes are here and we had another eagle fly over today.

Top Bottom