Coop expansion help

Georgiahome622

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2018
North Florida
Hi helpers!

I have fourteen 2 week old chicks - assorted colored egg breeds. I purchased this coop (see photos) thinking that all wouldn't survive shipment and 15 was the minimum order. I lost one just a few days ago. My husband will expand it for me, but I am interested to know how much more space is needed.

The overall size is 4'x10' with 4'x4' indoors and 6 nesting boxes out to the sides of it. There are 2 4-foot roosting poles. They have the full 4x10 space of run, as some of it is under the coop itself.

Do I need additional indoor space? How many chickens would my 4x4 plus 6 boxes inside space hold? I plan to let them free range when they are big enough. Any advice is welcomed!

Thank you!

Georgia

Attachments

• IMG_3845.jpg
    IMG_3845.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 8
Hi helpers!

I have fourteen 2 week old chicks - assorted colored egg breeds. I purchased this coop (see photos) thinking that all wouldn't survive shipment and 15 was the minimum order. I lost one just a few days ago. My husband will expand it for me, but I am interested to know how much more space is needed.

The overall size is 4'x10' with 4'x4' indoors and 6 nesting boxes out to the sides of it. There are 2 4-foot roosting poles. They have the full 4x10 space of run, as some of it is under the coop itself.

Do I need additional indoor space? How many chickens would my 4x4 plus 6 boxes inside space hold? I plan to let them free range when they are big enough. Any advice is welcomed!

Thank you!

Georgia
You're gonna need a bigger coop/run LOL
1615164275567.png

Definitely need a bigger indoor space. We currently have 4 in our 4x4 and it’s a tad on the small side...I believe general rule of thumb is 4sqft indoor space per bird (but I could be wrong on that)

Edited to add: mine currently have 4x8 as their “run” (chicken tractor) but we try to let them free range a few hours a day when we are outside. Again, I wish we had a larger more permanent run space for them.

The coop & run is only big enough for 4 chickens. You need a much bigger coop, or less chickens. If you could enclose the run and make it all into a coop, that would give you room for 10 chickens. Then you could add a nice, big run to it.

Once the chicks get a little bigger, you can always sell the extras. Some people don't have the time or place to raise babies and would rather buy older chicks.

The usual guidelines are that every adult, standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- preferably over her head while she sits on the roost.

Additionally, you need 1 nestbox for every 3-5 hens depending on circumstances.

If you're not able to do a major rebuild your best bet is probably to choose your favorites according to the size of coop you have and sell the rest started pullets. That's what I did this fall when I wasn't able to build the new new coop by the time my chicks had grown enough to be overcrowded.

A number of people with these small, pre-fab coops have managed to take out the interior walls and turn the entire thing into a coop, with a new run added on. In your climate you don't need an enclosed area anyway -- just a good roof and shelter from the prevailing winds.

Last edited:
The usual guidelines are that ever adult, standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- preferably over her head while she sits on the roost.

Additionally, you need 1 nestbox for every 3-5 hens depending on circumstances.

If you're not able to do a major rebuild your best bet is probably to choose your favorites according to the size of coop you have and sell the rest started pullets. That's what I did this fall when I wasn't able to build the new new coop by the time my chicks had grown enough to be overcrowded.

A number of people with these small, pre-fab coops have managed to take out the interior walls and turn the entire thing into a coop, with a new run added on. In your climate you don't need an enclosed area anyway -- just a good roof and shelter from the prevailing winds.
I second this logic for your situation.

Back
Top Bottom