Coop finally arrives

thumbsup.gif

VERY nice!!! I have their little 3 by 4 coop and I LOVE it. I sported for the red metal roof which was kind of a waste. My girls kick up so much dust that it's usually dusty grey brown and not red. But oh well.

69266_chicken_coop.jpg

I had to wait extra weeks for my Amish coop, too (the Amish coop builders are probably one of the only industries doing well in this economy!)
I didn't order it from My Amish Goods, but through my local feed store that contracts with the Amish in Lancaster, PA.
Because I had very limited access to my backyard, which is fenced all around, they set it up for me, bringing it into my yard piece by piece (I paid a bit extra for this).
AND--they really were Amish--hats, suspenders, beards, blue/gray shirts...It was really funny to see my neighbors doing double-takes as they were leaving for work!
In front of my tiny house was parked a flat bed that was as long as my property, holding 5 other big coops ready for delivery. So much for keeping this chicken project a secret!!

They really are attractive, well-built coops and, for someone like me, who is not at all handy-- and married to someone who knows even less about carpentry--it was worth every penny and makes a great addition to my garden!
I have the smaller, tractor-style Quaker coop, with attached run. I kind of regret the tractor decision...the thing is impossible for one person to move! It's so solid and heavy, and the ground so soft from rain, that the wheels were sinking into the earth.
Now I wish I had gotten a larger size, so that I can add to my flock. have 5 girls and I think that's definitely the max for my coop, even though they claim it can hold up to 8.

I went with the red and white color scheme (I've wanted a little red barn since I was a little girl...but not one quite this small!). I now have it decorated for fall with pots of mums (which the girls love to munch) and pumpkins (they'll also get those as soon as the season ends)

I love to see their little faces peeking out at me from the windows and vents!

Quote:
I love my My Amish Goods coop too. I got the little 3x4 A-Frame which is for 3-5 hens. Someone suggested adding a second roosting bar or adding two pieces to the current roosting bar to make a + sign and I thought that was a brilliant idea. I could easily add in an extra hen or two if I did this. And you would just need someone to cut a piece of 2x4 to the right length, sand it so they don't get splinters, and then nail it in place.

I'm not handy at all but thought I could handle that when the time comes. Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom