Coop fire

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LynnPG, Oct 27, 2016.

  1. LynnPG

    LynnPG Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    today is a sad day. I had a heat lamp plugged in, clamped to the very top shelf. It wasn't on. Durning the night, we are asumming, a chicken jumped up on the shelf and knocked it down and when it hit hit the ground it turned on. It caused a small fire and burned a hole in the floor of the coop. I lost 17 birds to smoke, carbon dioxide. 6 hens one turkey hen made it. The 2 toms sleep outside, so they made it.

    I think I'm going to loose one of my hens that made it. She was part of the older hens and now its only her that's left of them. She's not drinking or eating. I keep crying. I blame myself. I should have unpluged the cord. But I would turn it on in the morning, so the hens that wanted a little extra heat in the morning would have it.

    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. Alaskan

    Alaskan The Frosted Flake


    Yep, it sucks.... But try your best to learn and move on.

    So sorry you and your birds had to go through this!!

  3. N F C

    N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

    Dec 12, 2013
    So sorry to hear of your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by