1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    A family lost their home to a chicken coop fire in the Barnhardt/Imperial area in Missouri earlier this week.
    The family had two heats lamps in the chicken coop, somehow the lamps caused a fire in the coop. The winds were very high on this evening and embers from the coop fire caught the house on fire. The home was a total loss.

If heat lamps are a absolute necessity please be very very careful with them.

2 people like this.
  2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I would rather awake to a frozen chicken then a destroyed coop or worse. I leave heat to the experts. Terrible loss.

2 people like this.
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That is horrible, what a shame.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There just aren't words to help the victims feel better :(

Heat in brooders scares me to death! I shake my head in dispair every time I read a post where someone is heating their coop......

1 person likes this.
  5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Another one. All for the ridiculous pursuit of keeping chickens "Warm".

3 people like this.
  6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It is awful. The good news is at least it happened while the family was still awake and no one died. They saw the coop on fire called the fire department but the winds that night were terrible and by the time the fire department got there the house was well on it's way to a total loss. The husband apparently saw the embers landing on the roof and he tried to hook up the garden hose that was rolled up but in single degree temps he couldn't get water.

Enola a agree.

I tell people all the time when they ask me about chickens and cold weather and warming the coop that I have NEVER had a bird die do to the cold, never in 40+ years of raising chickens. I'll be anyone a crisp one hundred dollar bill that I will lose at least one in the 100+ degree weather every year.

A dry, draft free well ventilated coop is all that is required and a good diet and access to fresh water all day.

2 people like this.
  7. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I don't quite understand why people aren't just using stuff like dog kennel heating pads? They're not THAT expensive, and if the birds get cold enough, they'll be fine huddling on the pad vs roosting. Plus, they're "safe" and designed for use outdoors. A $50 dog heating pad is certainly cheaper than building a new coop and replacing your chickens.

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And it seems it's always the southern states where folks are so sure their birds are going to freeze to death. Seriously, what's cold in Missouri is normal winter weather in Minnesota, and birds live just fine there. Folks just don't use (un)common sense.

9. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    And to add....

And holy cow, what did folks do a hundred years ago in the winter...I'm sure people didn't lose their whole flocks every winter because they were cold.... Seriously, people need to understand that our farm animals didn't just hatch in the late 20th century and not be adapted to the weather conditions.

2 people like this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Exactly, especially breeds like RIR, Rocks--they were developed in New England. Course, I believe birds back then were just a lot hardier than today's flocks.....

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by