Coop Floor Concrete/Rubber

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CabSauv, Mar 3, 2015.

1. CabSauv

CabSauv New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    NW WA
    Hello! First time chicken owner. I have the coop and run built and chickies in a brooder in the garage! I was just wondering if I can get some input as to the flooring Beneath my coop, I don't imagine they'll spend a lot of time down there since they'll have access to a decent size run. It's concrete now, and the way we built the coop makes it difficult to clean down there. (2 front gates open up) it's concrete now, which I could hose down easily, but is concrete ok for the chickies feet? Will they mind it? I was thinking I could lay down those rubber mats, often used in gyms and playgrounds. I don't know if they'd scratch at that and pull up rubber bits? I know it'd be easier to clean off than pine or sand or deep liter. Thoughts?!?! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    My coop has a concrete floor. I thought I will just wait for the poop to dry and get dusty than sweep it up. BAHA -_- it caked on the floor thick in 1 day and was like poo concrete. I put wood shavings down. Thin layer. Than after a week add a little more than for the next two weeks I churn the chips as needed. Than I sweep it up and throw it on the mulch pile for the garden.

3. CabSauv

CabSauv New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    NW WA
    Thank you! Good to know!!! I don't want dried poo patties! :/

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Most chickens will eat rubber mats so just cover the concrete with sand or shavings.

5. CabSauv

CabSauv New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    NW WA
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by