Coop Floor Flooded. Help!

TbChiCken

Chirping
Sep 2, 2020
Hello,
I live in Virginia, and right now it's raining, really hard. The bottom of my coop floor is under water. We use pine shavings, which have been working good so far. It is getting really cold at night and I don't want the chickens to get water frozen onto their feet. What should I do to water proof my floor.
Thank you

We need images. If you have a large dog crate or a garage/shed I'd put them in there for the night until you can fix it.
Hello,
I live in Virginia, and right now it's raining, really hard. The bottom of my coop floor is under water. We use pine shavings, which have been working good so far. It is getting really cold at night and I don't want the chickens to get water frozen onto their feet. What should I do to water proof my floor.
Thank you

Are you looking for a quick, temporary fix til you can majorly repair?

Pallets, if your coop is big enough, or get some and cut them to size. Water can flow through, drain, and birds will be above.
Then do damage assessment after it clears up.

I hate that you’re going through this, but my mom is up in Virginia too, near the coast. I should give her a call, and I will, thanks to you!

Last edited:
Withholding comment till I see Pictures and some input as to the source of water entry. Inside and outside please - or at least answer as to whether to topography of your yard is directing water towards your coup...

Otherwise, as above posters have suggested, crating, moving to the garage, etc are all temporary responses to protect your birds in the near term until the coup issues can be addressed and/or it has a chance to drain.

Sincerely,
a person from wet and rainy Florida.

Withholding comment till I see Pictures and some input as to the source of water entry. Inside and outside please - or at least answer as to whether to topography of your yard is directing water towards your coup...

Otherwise, as above posters have suggested, crating, moving to the garage, etc are all temporary responses to protect your birds in the near term until the coup issues can be addressed and/or it has a chance to drain.

Sincerely,
a person from wet and rainy Florida.
You should try wet and rainy england :D

You should try wet and rainy england :D

I did, for a few weeks. Have relatives across the pond. Was able to stay with some outside London, and others on the Isle of Jersey in a beautiful old two story stone farmstead. Its a different kind of wet.

Honestly, I prefer our chocolate, and meaning no offense, but I didn't care much for the cooking (generally). Do miss good black currant jam (not the over-sugared stuff on our pantry shelves), Lyle's Golden (when i do want the sugar), and am very thankful for Newcastle, which has put a nice finish on some wonderful days.

I did, for a few weeks. Have relatives across the pond. Was able to stay with some outside London, and others on the Isle of Jersey in a beautiful old two story stone farmstead. Its a different kind of wet.

Honestly, I prefer our chocolate, and meaning no offense, but I didn't care much for the cooking (generally). Do miss good black currant jam (not the over-sugared stuff on our pantry shelves), Lyle's Golden (when i do want the sugar), and am very thankful for Newcastle, which has put a nice finish on some wonderful days.
Hahaha :D It has been raining here a lot recently... golden syrup is ace I have to agree! I'm not fussed... chocolate is chocolate (bit of a chocoholic here) miss american ice cream though (used to live there)!

IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG

Back
Top Bottom