Coop floor suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by whitlockj85, May 12, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i have linoleum - it was installed under the walls so tearing would be a minimum. i am using the deep litter method so it is under quite alot of litter - slipping is not an issue. yesterday i cleaned it out - first time in 3 months. it worked so well. the floor looked just like when we installed it. time will tell - but so far i like it alot.
  2. Kjf18

Kjf18 Chillin' With My Peeps

We put fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) on the floor of our coop. It is tough and durable (and nearly impervious to stains),, and has a slightly textured surface. Our coop is 4x8, and the FRP panel Inc the same size, so no seams. We bought it at Home Depot.

3. jennabelle65

jennabelle65 New Egg

May 17, 2012
    My husband used the Blackjack 57 on our coop floor (all plywood) last weekend. He poured it out and used a roller to spread all over like you've described in other posts. Parts of it covered perfectly but other parts are cracked and soft and peeling up. He is now in the coop peeling up as much as he can since we don't want the chikens getting to any parts that are peeling up and we don't want moisture getting under and rotting the wood etc. What do you think went wrong? We don't really know what to do from here and our chickens are getting too big for the brooder!
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mr Dixie Chick

Mr Dixie Chick New Egg

May 17, 2012
    My coop is a converted Costco playhouse 4x4..with .5 red star hens.
    1. Who has used PolyMax Poultry Flooring (see link below)
    or knows of how well it works?
    2. Is it kind to chicken feet?
    3. does the chicken poop go through very well? I plan to use a clean out tray underneath.

4. with 2x 2'x4' panels supported on the edge and the seam.....can I stand on it?
    5. know of any web sites.....with any reviews.
    6. any other BETTER IDEAS.
    Link for POLYMAX;ft1_poultry_equipment-ft1_poultry_fencing_flooring;pgha2215.html

Happy Chicken !
  5. chickrancher

chickrancher New Egg

Jul 5, 2013
    Jobstown New Jersey
    I am about 75% complete on my coop and will be using the Blackjack #57 Roof Coat on the floor based the post from JackE. I like the sealing properties it offers and is about $14 a gallon is a great price.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Latestarter

Latestarter True BYC Addict

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    One thing that may have caused the issue you describe is if the wood was in any way wet or damp when the product was applied. It could have prevented a proper bond and cure. Temperature could also be a factor. Other than that, I don't know. I will be applying this to my 2 coop floors this weekend IF the T-storms will stop and give them a few days to dry out...

edit: just noticed the date on the above post... LOOOOONG time ago. Hope you solved your problem.
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  7. Calix

Calix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Can anyone tell me if I can use Blackjack 57 on a used coop? The previous owners of my coop had chickens in it, so the wood is slightly stained in places. I'd like to use Blackjack or exterior paint, but I don't want to spend the money just to have it not seal correctly and peel up.
  8. Latestarter

Latestarter True BYC Addict

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    I recently sealed the inside of my 1st of 2 coops. the wood was "used" wood and had been rained on and was stained and I had zero problems.

9. mamadawn

mamadawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    I did the BlackJack #57 and love it! We are in Utah. Did it the end of Oct, it was getting cold at night.
    Used one gallon on a 4x4 plywood coop floor and went about two inches up the sides. I did it in the morning and put my brooder heat lamp on it for two days. It's been a year and it looks just like the day I put it in. Love it.

1 person likes this.
  10. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

We used BlackJack #57 from Lowes in our new coop with a plywood floor. It is super! I think any problems with the product are related to it not being 'stirred' enough. I used a tile mortar mixer and a 3/4 inch drill to make mine smooth as silk. I could have never shaken it enough, or rolled it down the sidewalk long enough to mix it correctly, never. But with a drill and mixer paddle, we were good to go in no time. MUCH better than paint, birds don't slide on it, and it repels everything.

Best to all and your birds,

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by