coop floor - what do you absolutely *need*? different in winter?

Quote:
Isn't that the case for any pet/hobby/passtime/activity?

That's what I'm asking. Is raising chickens only worthwhile as a hobby/pets/a fun pastime? If the daily maintenance work was on me, I would not be doing it for these reasons. The appeal to me is getting high-quality eggs--that's pretty much it. So I'm just curious whether we're delusional in thinking that we're going to get anywhere near breaking even. Can raising chickens ever be a cost-effective way of getting your own eggs (and maybe meat)--or is that not a reasonable goal?

That's a tangent, though - the other stuff about coop flooring is my main question
smile.png

You can break even and it isn't that difficult as long as you find some customers that are willing to pay a little more than store prices for good quality meat and eggs.. I am selling my meat and eggs and slowly but surely I will get to a point where most of the feed is covered.. I am happy as long as I hardly have to pay anything for my meat and eggs.. I use the DLM, I cleaned the coop out really good before it got too cold and put clean straw down under the roosts everyday. I clean the coop every few weeks in the warmer months to cut down on the smell..

I keep some of my chickens in kennel runs with concrete floor, for security reasons... (locked gates). The runs are elevated about 4" off the ground, and surronded with a "scupper" of river rock so it drains. I have no problems with my chickens feet, but you do need to add some things to give them "stimulation". The thing they love the most is the bottom of a rabbit cage (one of those things from Petco that is WAY TOO SMALL for a rabbit to live in) filled with a mixture of fireplace ash and fluffy potting soil. My goodness they love it! They go crazy dust bathing in there. I also throw in hunks of grass, roots and all from the driveway. I hang the food.

I spray out the kennels every couple days, and even in summer didn't have a fly problem as I just used a squirt of bleach after I was done (in the scuppers).

Best of luck to you in your venture. Chickens will really grow on you.

Back
Top Bottom