Coop floor?

LuvNHens

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2018
I'm all new to this chicken raising and very excited!
I've been given a coop but it has no floor. Previous owner just had it on ground
I'm wanting to have someone make it a floor then also legs to get coop up off ground so chickens can under for shade in our TX hot weather.
Question is what is the most affordable way to have a floor built? Does it NEED to be pressure treated wood?
Being on a fixed income I'm looking for a affordable way.
Thanks in advance for your help!!

I highley, highley recommend pressure treated wood. Worth the cost because it will last longer and you won't have to replace it because it rotted out or whatever be the case. I know it's more expensive but you don't want to have to keep redoing it, that can get pricey-er. Happy building!:D

First of all, you do not say the size of your coop. Cant really give you much info if not sure what you have. If it is a large coop, then it would be a challenge to raise it and construct a floor. You do say you are budget minded at this time as well. Converting a stand on ground coop to one elevated can sometimes be more effort than what the finished product is worth. Can you use it as is??? The ground floor is not a bad thing for chicken coops.
Wooden floors are better if made with pressure treated lumber. Moisture will shorten the life of regular wood. You will encounter moisture from bedding and poop in the bedding. There are other sources of moisture present around chickens as well.
If you do elevate it, it may have to be at least 2 feet. Problems arise when you need to get under to retrieve eggs or chicken that do not want to go nigty nite inside.
Have a covered run with a tarp for shade.
Post some pictures of your coop so it would be easier to give suggestions/advice.
WISHING YOU BEST.. and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom