1. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes New Egg

Feb 18, 2009
    We have an outbuilding that we want to use as a coop. It has a cement floor. Is this ok to use or should we put something on the cement? Want to have something for easy cleaning. Thanks Matt

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I think it will be fine as long as you put a very thick layer of bedding on the concrete, so they won't hurt their feet walking on the concrete all day long. Or, I suppose you could put a rubber mat over the concrete, but they are a little pricey.

Should be very easy to clean out, at any rate!

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    In my humble opinion concrete is the best. Just use a thick bedding.
    I find concrete easy to clean. Sweep, spray with a disinfectant solution, sweep out excess water and let dry.
    You also don't have to worry about predators digging in or rodents chewing through a wood floor.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You absolutely need a goodly layer of bedding (I like shavings) on the cement floor; but otherwise it is a very good floor, very predatorproof [​IMG]

Pat

5. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    You could make a slide out bottom. Not only is it easy to clean, but it's also easy to REPLACE. All you need do is have a spacer under the stud wall to allow for the slot. I'm not sure if you can see what I mean from the drawing posted on my blog, but you could look and ask me any question you might have.

How big is the slab? How big will your coop be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by