1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop flooring options

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DreamsInPink, Feb 26, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

Originally I was considering going with an inexpensive vinyl flooring... but I wasn't sure how it would hold up under all the distress of all those chicken feet.. not to mention hot/cold temps.

I saw one coop somewhere that had the inside all painted nicely. They had used a good exterior gloss on the floors. It looked really nice and seemed like it would hold up really well.

What are some thoughts? Thank you!!

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Our coop floor is OSB painted with DeckOver, a textured deck paint. The thick pine shavings keep the floor dry. We also have a poopboard that collects most of the droppngs. The DeckOver has held up really well.

3. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm also planning on doing poop boards. And the floor will be OSB as well. I've heard of DeckOver, but have no experience with it. Would you say it is better than exterior paint?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by