Coop Flooring

LaurenThompson

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada
Hello!
I live in Southern Ontario - our winters get quite chilly. Currently, we have sand on our coop floor, but I want to add a layer of something else and was wondering what the best choice might be. We like to maintain our coop by scooping up the droppings every few days and that's why we love the sand but I imagine it gets quite cold in the winter.
Wood shavings? Wood chips? Straw?
Let me know your opinions - our ladies appreciate it!

We use only pine shavings here in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, but I've heard straw is warm too (just make sure its actual straw and not hay). Many people mix straw and wood shavings too. I would imagine straw would be easier for you with your sand in terms of separating again in the spring.

Hello!
I live in Southern Ontario - our winters get quite chilly. Currently, we have sand on our coop floor, but I want to add a layer of something else and was wondering what the best choice might be. We like to maintain our coop by scooping up the droppings every few days and that's why we love the sand but I imagine it gets quite cold in the winter.
Wood shavings? Wood chips? Straw?
Let me know your opinions - our ladies appreciate it!
Install roosts over poop boards, scoop them each morning instead and bed the coop down with thick pine shavings.

I do have roosts over poop boards with sand - I am strictly trying to figure out what to put on the floor of the coop! Pine shavings is what I am leaning towards! Thanks!
If you have poop boards, why ever put send on the coop floor? I use hemp bedding on the coop floor and only clean the coop out annually.

Back
Top Bottom