Coop Flooring

Hi - the maggots are in the coop. It is sloped since we have a pool, but I think the sand and the bricks I elevated the coop on (to level it) kept the water in. I am going to talk to my husband and have him figure out a way to slide plyboard in on top of the bricks so the floor will be wood, then use shavings...??? Any suggestions on a better feeder so they don't throw their mash everywhere? I will no longer feed and water them in the coop. Since they are trained to put themselves to bed there is no need for it in there. I am new to this and learning the hard way...

Yuck! I would think about adding a little more height if possible. If not the floorboard isn't a bad idea, or maybe use a sheet of linoleum flooring that way clean up is a little easier. Im new to this stuff too, but I have seen pictures of peoples coops using linoleum it looks nice. And then put your shavings down on top of the coop floor. In our run we use pine needles they like to scratch around in those and it helps keep them off the mud, but in our coop we have pine shavings. I do mix my shavings with DE and then put them in the coop now. My chicks seem happy. Hope that helps.

Yuck! I would think about adding a little more height if possible. If not the floorboard isn't a bad idea, or maybe use a sheet of linoleum flooring that way clean up is a little easier. Im new to this stuff too, but I have seen pictures of peoples coops using linoleum it looks nice. And then put your shavings down on top of the coop floor. In our run we use pine needles they like to scratch around in those and it helps keep them off the mud, but in our coop we have pine shavings. I do mix my shavings with DE and then put them in the coop now. My chicks seem happy. Hope that helps.
I love the idea of linoleaum - thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom