Coop for Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AtRendeAcres, Apr 26, 2008.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I am sure this is hear somewere!
    but, could someone tell me or send me to a post (I am thinking similar to chicken)

I went to feed store & dd's got ducks (of course I bought more chix batam & lg fowl)
    I know they can go with chickens but, I would like to keep separite ( they are so much bigger than the bantams)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  2. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    I'm sorry but I don't know much about ducks accept that there mess sorry [​IMG]

3. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    ow and you can use a chicken coop thet'll like it if it has a pond [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    ducks don't really need a coop, just a three sided small building to get into out of the weather is they want. You can have a fenced in place and the small building and they will be just as happy. Or you can free range them and just have the building somewhere where they can get to it.

But if you want to make a coop for them, you can make something like a chicken coop, just without the roost and nesting boxes on the floor. They also need a coop on the ground, that they can just walk into, because they won't fly up to get into it.

They do love the kiddie pools though, and will give you hours of entertainment with one [​IMG]

I'm sure other people on here can give you ideas, I hope this helps a little.

edited to add

If you make a coop for them, you should keep the water outside of they will make a real mess of your coop and themselves.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  5. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Hopefully, since you're in PA your winter temps won't drop to depths of -12f so your ducks would probably be prettyhappy with one of those 3 sided shelters another poster mentioned. Although mine seem to like sitting in the rain...

Their first winter I just had the sleep in the garage which got quite messy with the poop though not so much with the water, they had a heated barrel of water outside and inside just a plastic coffee can.

We will be building a box like structure with a sloped roof that will sit under the deck for this winter, we'd like our garage back. When it gets done I'll post pictures. Ours will close up totally though because of the cold weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by