Coop for Hen raising chicks?

I definitely agree with that. They are so clumsy and wobbly at first :) I imagine they would be bumping into each other and tumbling off the side of the ramp.

I leave brodys/eggs/chicks together in the main coop that has 10-15 birds at one time. I do not become involved beyond special water and food close to the new hatches. I did have one hen that pecked her hatchlings, and had to be moved, but normally I do about nothing. My current batch have been outside all day at 3 weeks, with there moms. It seems that special coops/heat/broody boxes make no sence when chickens are perfectly able to raise chickens in the flock enviorment.

A large area is great for chickens with newborn chicks so chicks can stretch their legs and grow muscles.

Also make sure to keep the chicks away from other hens as they can kill them.

Best of luck!

I use a similar design although hen is allowed to roam with chicks for at least a couple hours each day. She can be allowed to return whe going to roost or enticed back in with chick feed. In a 4' x 8' unit like yours a game hen can rear 14 chicks easy.

this a really good post and make sure there heat lamps in they hen box so they can stay warm at night
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom