Coop from recycled materials

rileysgranny

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Tennessee, USA
I am new to chickens and to BYC forum. My DH and I built a coop from the log siding we took off of the front of the house during a remodel. It's foot print is approx. 4 ft. by 8 ft, which we choose because that is the size of a sheet of plywood. I had the design in my head after buying a book on chicken coops and looking on the web, but I had a hard time communicating it to DH who is a bricklayer, not a carpenter. All in all, I think it came out rather nicely. I would have liked it to be bigger, but there's always next year! We have 5 little ladies that we bought as pullets from a girl who raises chickens for show and for pleasure. I'm pretty sure they are not pure bred, but we love them just the same. We used 4x4 pressure treated posts, but painted them to hopefully keep the chemicals away from the girls. The framing is all 2x4's. The roof is plastic because the metal roofing was too expensive. We used old storm windows off of our house and put a small one on one end and a larger one in the front. Both have hardware cloth on the inside to allow for ventilation during hot weather. They can be closed for cooler weather, but we may have to cover them completely if it gets too cold. The chicken door is a sliding door made from part of an old bi-fold door. DH attached a hook and rope system for opening it from the outside. The end opposite the small window has double doors also made from bi-fold doors. Currently we have old galvanized nest boxes mounted inside the coop, which can be easily accessed by a hinged door on the back, but I hope to add boxes to the outside to give the girls more room on the inside. The pen is made from wooden pallets that DH brought home from a job site. It is attached to the coop and the whole thing is enclosed with chicken wire which is curved outward and buried in the ground to hopefully prevent predators. There is also a sliding door on the end of the pen so that I can let the girls out to free-range when I am home and outside with them. Changes I want to make are to make the outside pen taller so that I can get inside to clean it without having to crawl around on my knees; add another pen so that I can keep any future moms and babies seperate from the eating egg layers ( I have a fear of cracking open an egg and finding an embryo)! and building an altogether larger coop and run in the future.

I'll post a picture once I figure out how.

welcome-byc.gif

I can't wait to see some pictures
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
17240_barbara_buffy_the_coup.jpg

I think this will work. It looked alright in the preview. Not the best picture, but it gives you the general idea. The brown triangle at the bottom of the picture is the hinged door where I put the food and water containers in the pen. The rope on the right is attached to the chicken door that leads out of the pen into the yard.That's Barbara and Buffy on the top of the pen. Barbara is part BR and part black sex-link, Buffy is part Buff Orphington (sp?) and part black sex-link, or so I was told. Barbara is precious, Buffy is a bit "touched" in the head. She has no comb and she jumps and runs, flaps and hops for no apparent reason.

Would it be easier to add height to the run so that the chicken door was part of it and you might be able to walk in it. Just asking, my run isn't but 3ft high with the coop on top

Yes, I'm thinking we'll just attach some 2x4's to the frame work of the pen that is already there to make the pen taller. I can't stand not being able to get inside the pen mare easily. DH says he'll help me do it when the weather gets cooler. It was in the 40's last night, do you think that's cool enough DH? I'll post pictures when it's done, when ever that is. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the coop in progress.
17240_picture_065.jpg

This is the back showing the nesting boxes just inside, before we added the access door.
17240_picture_067.jpg

This is after we added the door, before we painted it.
17240_picture_064.jpg

This is the front, before we put the siding on and the window in. And this is a group photo of 4 of the 5 hens taking their Sunday afternoon dust bath in my flower bed. Buffy, the other one, was to the left bathing by herself.
17240_time_for_a_dust_bath.jpg

The dog in the photos is Buster. He was the inspector!

Back
Top Bottom