Coop getting wet - help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jose21, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Jose21

Jose21 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Unfortunately it is cold and very wet here in the UK at the moment. My two 5 week old chicks are now out in their coop and 9ft run, with a heat lamp warming the coop at night (but on during the day too today as so cold - more like March than June!)
    My question is that in their (bought, not home made) coop the water is dripping in a little through a small window with perspex on it and making one side of the floor slightly damp. It has been raining all day but this is not good, I suspect, though I may be over anxious. I have put a tarpaulin over the whole coop for the moment -but does anyone have any suggestions for sealing it? How bad is a dampish floor in one spot? Should I complain to the company I got the coop from - it is for around 6 chickens and cost approx £500. We have had it 3 weeks.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Depending on your litter, you could develop a mold issue. How much ventilation do you have? If it were mine, I would expand the overall size of the roof to block more rain. As a repair, caulk around all the windows and look to see if the window is frame is wet from rain or if there is a hole in the roof that is allowing water to trickle down the wall and then it's migrating in thru a bad seal.

3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    heck yeah I would complain [​IMG] both of mine might be homemade but they don't leak [​IMG]

4. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    TremSeal by Tremco marketed at Vulkem. It will seal any leak.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I don't know if you have a dirt floor. You could put a good layer of sand there. My coop stays real dry but if it rains hard enough the floor can get a little damp around the edges. Yeah, you might want to winterize the window a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by