Coop Height and Design

BrianM

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 6, 2009
South Louisiana
I am trying to design a coup and pen for my first small flock of chickens. My parish regulations allow 4 so that is what I am designing for. I have a space 4'x12' that was a raised planter that I plan to use for the coup/pen area. I am also trying to keep everything from sticking up above my fence which is 6.5' tall. So that is the background.

What I am thinking of doing is building a coup that is 4'x4'x3' which I will raise 2' off of the ground. On one side of the coup I am going to put 2 12"x12"x12" nesting boxes 1' off of the floor and then use the other 2'x1'x3' space along with the 2'x1'x1' space above the nesting boxes for storage. This will effectively leave 3'x'4x3' of space for the main coup area. I am also planning to leave a 2' wide section under the roost as a wire floor for easier cleaning and to help with ventilation. I live in South Louisiana so the heat is a concern not the cold.

I plan to put the feeder and water under the coup. Also the pen space is going to have a roof for additional shade and predator protection. I know that the guidelines seem to be 4sq ft a chicken and with this size I will basicly have 12 sq ft of open space plus the 2 sq ft of nest boxes and 2 sq ft under the nest boxes. Roost will be 4 ft long. Pen space will be 4'x12'. So the question to y'all is does the size and height seem like it will be ok? Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
That sounds good and well thought through. It sounds like a good design for 4 chickens, and I see you are designing so that they have the biggest outside protected space you can get. Can't wait to see the pics!

Back
Top Bottom