Coop Help Please

rcojd

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2018
Plymouth, MA
Hi there. We will not be aquiring chicks until spring so I have plenty of time to figure out alternatives if need be, but a friend has offered to give me her coop for free since she no longer has chickens. Picture is attached but it is currently being used as a shed and clearly needs some TLC. I am most concerned about the size of it. The enclosed area is only about 3ft x 3.5 ft. The outside area is about 7ft x 3.5ft with about half of it being underneath the enclosed area, so not alot of head space. My friend kept 5-6 hens in here and ler them free range during the day. She had a lot of problems with her hens injuring each other and I think (and I am by no means an expert) that it is because they didnt have enough space. How many hens (we are getting silkies) would you say could comfortably inhabit this coop? Also it is hard to see the ramp with everything in the way but if you can see it, do you think its too steep?

Attachments

• 20181022_104649.jpg
    20181022_104649.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 21
The ramp looks straight up from what I can tell. The coop is big enough for 2-3 chickens.

The ramp is almost at a 90* angle. It has a few bars across to help with grip but as we will be getting silkies and they don't fly or see well with all that fluff I'm worried about them falling off of it. I dont want anyone getting hurt. I only wanted 2-3 hens so size works out well. Thank you!

The ramp is almost at a 90* angle. It has a few bars across to help with grip but as we will be getting silkies and they don't fly or see well with all that fluff I'm worried about them falling off of it. I dont want anyone getting hurt. I only wanted 2-3 hens so size works out well. Thank you!
What about putting a brick or block under the ramp so it's not so steep?

Bantam Silkies in Massachusetts three at the absolute most.

Need a better look at that ramp to see what is going on. As you said Silkies cannot fly but they can jump pretty well. You might be able to use steps instead of a ramp. Or if the cross boards are pretty substantial (more like steps) they may be able to use those. But 90 degrees is too steep. Can you put a block under the end to flatten it some?

I think, upon closer inspection, the ramp will need to be replaced entirely. I couldnt see it at first with all the rakes and stuff in the way but the end of the ramp that touches the ground is rotting. I think I'm gonna take the coop because its free and you can't beat free. I will just have to make a new ramp for it, do something about the gaps around the door, and fix up the roof. Even with all that I think it'll be cheaper than buying a coop or building one from scratch.

I think, upon closer inspection, the ramp will need to be replaced entirely. I couldnt see it at first with all the rakes and stuff in the way but the end of the ramp that touches the ground is rotting. I think I'm gonna take the coop because its free and you can't beat free. I will just have to make a new ramp for it, do something about the gaps around the door, and fix up the roof. Even with all that I think it'll be cheaper than buying a coop or building one from scratch.
Probably.
You're thinking right tho, keep thinking, and over the winter check it out for weather tightness. Looks fairly solid as a starting point. Closer looks at ventilation and predator proofing once it's cleared out.

Back
Top Bottom