1. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I know a lot of people just do it in there heads. But I want to be able to put it on paper. So I can get a parts list going. My question is there a free program to help me draw this out better ? I got some sliders free from CL also found a free door. I used a paint program for this .. I know bad but it gives an Idea of what im looking for.

[​IMG]

Just a thought right now . Thanks Scotty

2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know of any, but would love it if there was! Keeping my fingers crossed

3. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Go to Home Depot, they have a program, you tell them what you want for dimensions, and they type it in, and can even tell you right down to the nails. Then they'll print it out for ya so you know exactly how and what you need. 2X's, plywood, studs etc,,,,,,,,for free.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. DreamingOfAFarm

DreamingOfAFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    Kalamazoo
    If you want to design it yourself google has a program. I think it's called sketchup. It's pretty amazing and I've only downloaded the free version.

5. NoraWI

NoraWI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Yes, all the lumber yards even in my boonies have the design programs and will give you a supplies list. BTW, your sketch is almost an exact copy of my 100-year-old chicken coop. It is 20'x12' with 2 "rooms" inside. I have feed and water in one, and the roost and nests in the other. The windows and door were "rescues" that had been stored in the barn for the last 20+ years. I recently re-roofed with new galvanized roofing. Of course, the coop windows face south for maximum winter sun. My door is on the same side as the windows. You have a very good, time-proven design. It works! [​IMG]

6. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thanks guys im going to look into Home depot soon .Thanks again. A hundred year old coop/ I wish I could build something that would last that long. LOL

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Google sketchup is a fantastic program. While it won't give you a parts list, it will allow you to draw everythin to scale and manipulate it in any direction so you can really see what you are making before you drive a single nail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by