coop ideas for michigan?

Pixiestick

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 14, 2010
husband and i are debating coops and designs.

a lot of the coops i've been seeing around the internet and on here seem as if they are geared more towards warmer climates. what do you who live in places similar to michigan do to insulate your coops and keep your birds warm? where we live we are victims of lake effect snow and temps that can drop below 0 degrees.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from West Michigan! Check out the link in my siggy on my coop. It is not insulated. It is more important that it be draft free and have good ventilation. The chickens have on feather coats and all I need to do is to put vaseline on the roosters combs to help prevent frostbite.

the coop we have kind of pictured won't be as large as yours and will more than likely be up on "stilts" with a run. but i'm worried about frostbite and the coop being too cold.

You can check mine out on my BYC page. The only thing I would do differently is I would have put in a double paned window (still inside out and upside down though). Since its insulated the coop stays cooler in the summer as well.

Quote:
I can understand you being worried but the chickens are tougher than you think. There are a lot of folks on here from Alaska with chickens. Do you know what breeds you are getting? Some breeds are more cold tolerant than others.

Quote:
you do have a really nice coop. i showed it to my husband and he liked the walk in run.

Back
Top Bottom