Coop ideas

BowCHICKawowwow2

Chirping
Aug 5, 2020
Upstate NY
Still working on the chicken coop. I dont have a roof on the run. Do you think it is necessary? I do have my automatic coop door. It opens and closes at certain times. I love it. Now I just need some paint and to finish the laying boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_230009_286.jpg
    IMG_20200808_230009_286.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 16
I debated a roof also. I finally decided to put on metal sheets for the run roof. It was a great choice! When it rains, the flock just get comfy in run until the rain stops. I'm in Wisconsin so I had to think of snow. After winterizing the coop and run, the only snow that can get in the run is through a 6 inch gap from my winterizing method to the roof so I have to shovel snow into the run for the chickens to eat. If I didn't have the roof, I would be shoveling snow out. The roof also gives extra shade other than the surrounding trees. If you can, I would recommend the roof.

Yup! Put one on.

It's shade from the sun and shelter from the rain. It will keep out climbing predators and pests like squirrels, rats and raccoons. Even if they don't get your birds they'll go through $$$ of feed.

The way I see it is you can do it before you lose hens or after. Before is better.

Not sure where you are located but I will bet you have Hawks, Raccoons, Coyotes and Fox as well as stray dogs. Put out a camera and you will be surprised. If none show up, you will be the first chicken owner without them. I have them all plus Bobcat and Owls. I would highly recommend you cover your run if only with HC.

Back
Top Bottom