Coop Ideas???

salt and pepper

Songster
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
North Georgia Mountains
I am about to build my third coop, it will be made completely out of pallets. I was thinking 3/4' and it will hold four birds, but would like to be able to put maybe two more in there when I have extras. Would this be big enough? Does the coops NEED a window if it has proper ventilation? Any ideas on interior ideas? Also, The run is going to be made of pallets as well, the birds will be able to free range for a couple of hours a day, how large will the run need to be? Thanks!

I am about to build my third coop, it will be made completely out of pallets. I was thinking 3/4' and it will hold four birds, but would like to be able to put maybe two more in there when I have extras. Would this be big enough? Does the coops NEED a window if it has proper ventilation? Any ideas on interior ideas? Also, The run is going to be made of pallets as well, the birds will be able to free range for a couple of hours a day, how large will the run need to be? Thanks!
Since pallets are basically free, then I would build as big as you can without structural concerns. A 4x4 may be OK for four birds but adding a few more may cramp things. A bigger coop allows several options with how you layout the roost, nests, etc... Same with the run. Big would be good. Start with a 6x10 ft secure run that they can access full time. They can free range as you decide. I would prefer a strong mesh fence for the run for open air movement and sun from the sides. A roof would give great shade.

Six feet is a long way to reach for cleaning. Make the door and window section hinged so you can open that for cleaning.

I don't have windows as such. I have openings in the walls screened for ventilation, but no windows.

My coop is 8 feet long. 5 feet of that is made up of two doors for reaching into the coop for refilling the feeder and cleaning the coop. My nesting box is mounted on the outside of the coop with its roof on hinges so I can reach into it easily.

Too little space can lead to pecking maliciously due to overcrowding. Too large is fine.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom