Coop in shop?

Lashy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
I had just posted last night about questions regarding building a coop in my shop. Then I saw a picture this morning and love the idea of the interior that TwoSpringHens built (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/768401/new-to-back-yard-chickens). Just frame it in and use chicken wire for two of the walls. Is that advisable? I work occasionally in the shop and run a saw or drill, or even spray paint now and then. My assumption is that if the hens don't like what I'm doing in there, they will go outside to their run. Is that assumption correct? Could it affect their egg producing? Would it make a difference if there were 4 solid walls instead of just two? Should I be worried about full exposure to the shop on two sides? It is not heated (or cooled) inside the shop, but I didn't plan on putting any insulation in the walls, either. Thank you in advance for your advice!

No way, would I want a coop in my shop. The dust they generate would be on everything. I had enough of indoor chickens when they were in the brooder in my basement.
Jack

Okay, well let me re-phrase what it is then
smile.png
. The building was originally a turkey feed-building back in the 50s. It happens to have a few work benches and is the place I do shop-like activities. But, in the end, sounds like I have to worry about both 'shop' activities imacting the hens and the hens' dust making the shop even more dirty than it is..

I don't think the chickens would care at all. Some would probably come in, just to see what you are doing. We shoot clays sometimes, out in the field. Now, you would think the chickens would have a problem with gunfire. But after we've shot a few rounds, you can look over to see some of the birds up to the fence, watching us shoot.
Jack

Thanks for the input, JackE! I will certainly be a little more prepared for the mess they will leave me with... :)

I think the only thing that would be a problem for the chickens would be fumes. Some paints, cleaners and adhesives are bad. Others aren't a big deal. So, it just depends on what you're using. Birds are more sensitive to those types of toxins than people are.

As dusty as chickens are, I'd worry about dust settling onto wet finishes, like paint or other sealers. When they're molting and growing in new feathers, they have to peel the outer coating off of the new feather, so it can unfurl. Plus, they like to dust bathe, to combat external parasites and clean substances off their feathers. When they lightly shake later, they exude a cloud of dust. They also scratch around in their litter, which raises dust.

Maybe think about the types of projects you do and how often you do them, to see if this would work for you. Or if there would be some modifications that you could do, to make it work.

Very good points. I will make sure to keep that in mind and not have any high expectations for quality finish work! Thank you WoodlandWoman.

You're welcome! I just thought of something else. I don't know what your weather is like or what the temperatures are like in your shop in the summer. You might need to add additional ventilation to your shop. Sometimes closed buildings over heat in the summer. Ventilation also improves the air quality.

Back
Top Bottom