1. AshleyTX

AshleyTX Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Hi gang! I am needing some help finding a pre-built coop. I will have 25 chickens in a backyard (large 1/2 acre) and feel a coop already built will be easier than building one myself. Does anyone have any recommendations on websites/stores that are reasonable? I'm finding a few options on line for the size I need, but they seem to either have bad quality reviews or are really expensive (like over $2,500-3,000). While I love my little babies, I still want to be reasonable on cost if possible. Any ideas? Thanks everyone for your help!

Ashley

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Belott

Belott Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Belott, Texas
    What part of Texas are you in?

In my opinion pre built coops are mostly junk for what they cost. Building your own or hiring a carpenter is a better option. A coop for 25 birds can be be built yourself for ~$1000 give or take.

Keep in mind heat is our biggest concern in Texas. I am building an open air coop which is going to be 10X25 enclosed in hardware cloth with a tin roof. Combination coop and run with lots of ventilation and using heavy duty tarps to keep blowing rain out of coop end. Tarps will be secured to posts to allow plenty of air circulation.

Hope that helps.

David

3. AshleyTX

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks David for the advice! I actually just relocated from Texas to Kentucky, so the weather change is going to be something I need to figure out (lol). It is so much colder here! I had a small existing one, but it will be too small once all my new babies are out of the brooder. Expanding the flock is interesting work!

I've looked at the ones online and they do seem to mostly be "junk" as you mentioned. I think you are right…building a new one will probably be my best course. Thanks again for the help!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Have you tried Craigslist for existing buildings? Sometimes you get lucky, though you may have to take it apart and reassemble it, plus transport it. Still, it may be worth a shot.

Another idea instead of building it yourself is to look at Home Depot, Lowe’s, maybe a local building supply and see what they have for the storage shed kits. You’ll still have to assemble it yourself, which takes time but isn’t that hard, or maybe they will assemble it for a price. You’ll have to do some modifications like put in lots of ventilation, probably a pop door, a roost, and maybe a window though your ventilation may make that unnecessary. None of that is all that hard to do once you get the concept. How you do that depends on what kind of building you get.

From your name I’ll guess you are in Texas but that’s a guess. To save some costs you could look at a metal building but you would really have to open it up for ventilation. Heat kills a lot more chickens than cold. A tremendously lot more. If you could put it in afternoon shade, that could really help. Metal is going to be a little harder to cut openings and secure them against predators but it can be done. Wood is easier to work with, at least for me.

To cut costs, you really don’t need a floor. You will need to have some type of foundation to keep the wind from blowing it away and you want it up off the ground a bit to prevent rot or excessive rust, but treated wood, cinder blocks, or concrete can take care of that. It still adds costs but you need to keep it off the ground to keep it from rotting whether it has a floor or not. Thinking about termites for wooded structures is probably a good thing, especially if you really are in Texas. Hopefully you don’t have Formosa termites where you are. Those are nasty.

Another option is to find a handyman that can build you one from scratch, foundation to completed coop. If you can give him a good description of exactly what you want, you should be able to get a lump sum price from him. Maybe paint it yourself to save costs.

For 25 chickens you are looking at a pretty big coop. It won’t be real cheap unless you get real lucky on Craigslist. Good luck!

5. AshleyTX

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Great ideas, all of them! Sometimes you stare at a problem long enough you draw a blank for a solution. Thanks again!

6. AshleyTX

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    New question/idea...

Has anyone ever seen several (two or three) smaller coops that house about 15 chickens each versus one large coop that houses all chickens? While I know the multiple coops would be more work for cleaning, watering, food, etc., it may work our better for our long-term spacing. Has anyone ever seen this? Thanks!

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'd check out Lowes(or home depot) for garden sheds.. they come in various sizing and are not too bad cost wise, their kits so while not without some building it's not too bad. They are easy to convert to coops and likely your best bet for that many birds.

A good tip for windows? look for antique ones and back them with hardware cloth much cheaper than vinyl sliders or other types of shed windows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by