Coop insulating/heating bitter cold (Alaska)

Ceakmama

Songster
May 2, 2021
Alaska
We had our first frost this week. It's currently 35 degrees, but it can get as low as -40 in the middle of winter. I have 5 egg laying pullets that are about 6 months old. I also have 4 pullets that are about 8 weeks old. They're all in the unheated, uninsulated coop. They 8 week olds are currently in a separate spot so the bigger girls can see them, but can't peck them. But I'm going to have them all together before winter hits.

I've heard locals say they don't heat, just insulate and well ventilate. What is the best way to insulate for the bitter cold months? How do I keep my eggs from freezing?

I'm also looking at buying a sweeter heater for the miserably cold snaps.

I'm also talking my husband into adding actual windows, instead of the open window spots we have now. If we do that, we'll add some vents in different spots.

Any thoughts?

Here's a pic of the outside from over the summer.

Attachments

• 20210807_150730.jpg
    20210807_150730.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 89
We had our first frost this week. It's currently 35 degrees, but it can get as low as -40 in the middle of winter. I have 5 egg laying pullets that are about 6 months old. I also have 4 pullets that are about 8 weeks old. They're all in the unheated, uninsulated coop. They 8 week olds are currently in a separate spot so the bigger girls can see them, but can't peck them. But I'm going to have them all together before winter hits.

I've heard locals say they don't heat, just insulate and well ventilate. What is the best way to insulate for the bitter cold months? How do I keep my eggs from freezing?

I'm also looking at buying a sweeter heater for the miserably cold snaps.

I'm also talking my husband into adding actual windows, instead of the open window spots we have now. If we do that, we'll add some vents in different spots.

Any thoughts?

Here's a pic of the outside from over the summer.
How big is that coop?

If at all possible, putting up some roof over the run would help a bunch.

If you have any questions about my article, or need further elaboration, please ask.

How big is that coop?

If you have any questions about my article, or need further elaboration, please ask
How big is that coop?

If you have any questions about my article, or need further elaboration, please ask.
The coop is 5'x6' and about 6' tall. We just added a roof to the run, so thankfully that part is done! I think our biggest task will be getting it insulated. Your article is giving me a good idea of how to do that. Are rodents as big of an issue with a raised coop like mine?

Thanks for your help! I hope the winter goes well for my chickens!

My only rodent proof coop is 2 steps above ground level... and there is a bunch of chewing on the door sill from rodents trying to enter.

:idunno

Do you get rodents in your house?
I know we have them in the yard at times. The only ones that get in the house are the ones the cat brings in.

Back
Top Bottom