Coop is delayed but chickens keep growing!

How old were your chickens when you moved them to their coop for the first time?

• Less than 6 weeks old

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 6 weeks-9 weeks

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • 9+ weeks - 12 weeks

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Older than 12 weeks

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Mine were just over 14 weeks! Same situation. I had a coop ordered and it was delayed and all kinds of problems. Then I cancelled it and built but the guy helping me build had a lot on his plate in addition to helping me. They finally got out of my house and immediately took to coop life.i did try getting them outside a few times before the big move but they adapted really I well.

Mine were just over 14 weeks! Same situation. I had a coop ordered and it was delayed and all kinds of problems. Then I cancelled it and built but the guy helping me build had a lot on his plate in addition to helping me. They finally got out of my house and immediately took to coop life.i did try getting them outside a few times before the big move but they adapted really I well.

I was in a similar situation to you. Don’t be too hard on yourself...you’re doing the best you can.

I ended up creating a outdoor run with 4x4 panels that I hinged together with a top for my girls to be safe outside. I literally carried them into my garage every night...definitely was not an ideal situation, but until I had a secure coop, I created a space for them to be outdoors during the day.

Good luck!
This is exactly my situation. I carry them outside to their temporary pen every morning and I carry them back inside at night. Sometimes they get away from me, though, and it's very difficult to get them to stay still so I can pick them up again. I've tried taking their food away so they will be hungry when it's time to go inside; I've tried using a call and treat training for a couple of weeks now, but that isn't working. Sigh ....

Thank you, Aimee, I can't tell you how reassuring this is! I'm so worried they won't be able to figure out coop life after living this strange existence for longer than it should have been. Thank you for your reply.

I feel your pain! We got a prefab coop and after putting it together quickly determined it would not work for grown up birds. Found a "local coop builder" who claimed he could build me a copycat Carolina coop at significantly less than a real Carolina coop. Chicks at this point were still in brooder in garage. Lo and behold guy was trying to scam us so we told him to hit the road. Managed to get a build spot with a very good coop builder from the Puget Sound area but he very sought after with an 8 WEEK DELAY! I just simply don't have the time or inclination to build myself. We just did a 600 sq ft deck a few months ago and I told myself no more married couple DIY projects!!! The chicks in the brooder quickly turned into the teenagers outgrowing the brooder so we had no other choice than to put them in the sketchy prefab at 3 weeks. Had to do alot of extra securing and I am worried they are going to outgrow that soon too!!
Only 5 more weeks to go:th

I feel your pain! We got a prefab coop and after putting it together quickly determined it would not work for grown up birds. Found a "local coop builder" who claimed he could build me a copycat Carolina coop at significantly less than a real Carolina coop. Chicks at this point were still in brooder in garage. Lo and behold guy was trying to scam us so we told him to hit the road. Managed to get a build spot with a very good coop builder from the Puget Sound area but he very sought after with an 8 WEEK DELAY! I just simply don't have the time or inclination to build myself. We just did a 600 sq ft deck a few months ago and I told myself no more married couple DIY projects!!! The chicks in the brooder quickly turned into the teenagers outgrowing the brooder so we had no other choice than to put them in the sketchy prefab at 3 weeks. Had to do alot of extra securing and I am worried they are going to outgrow that soon too!!
Only 5 more weeks to go:th
I promise I am not laughing at you, but chuckling that we have all had the chicken guilt after a scam and not being prepared for our babies.:jumpy So many people have these beautiful set up and I literally cry afraid I was letting my birds down. My good friend came over one night and seriously scooped them up with authority and placed them with care into the prefab coop. That was really all it took...a firm hand to let them know that is their home.By the third night, they were going up by themselves. They are doing this now all by themselves for the past 2 weeks. They are 15 weeks old now so I am trying to prepare them to begin laying. They spend more time in the nesting boxes then on the roost bars at night. Gosh if only they have a book for Raising chickens:love. Yep,,,I read Stories guide to raising chickens by Gail Damerow. Awesome resource.

You will get there, keep the faith!

I promise I am not laughing at you, but chuckling that we have all had the chicken guilt after a scam and not being prepared for our babies.:jumpy So many people have these beautiful set up and I literally cry afraid I was letting my birds down. My good friend came over one night and seriously scooped them up with authority and placed them with care into the prefab coop. That was really all it took...a firm hand to let them know that is their home.By the third night, they were going up by themselves. They are doing this now all by themselves for the past 2 weeks. They are 15 weeks old now so I am trying to prepare them to begin laying. They spend more time in the nesting boxes then on the roost bars at night. Gosh if only they have a book for Raising chickens:love. Yep,,,I read Stories guide to raising chickens by Gail Damerow. Awesome resource.

You will get there, keep the faith!
They enjoy their prefab for now, but I hope they appreciate having to wait so long for their big, pretty coop!!

Back
Top Bottom