Coop is finally done (pics)

The snake had 10 rattles and was 42" long.

The chickens are still in the brooder and won't see the coop for at least a few weeks so that snake didn't pose any real threat to them.

That is a beautiful set up you have. Reusing materials or at least looking for them makes me tick. Very nice.

Can you tell me about your chicken door? How did you do it/what is it? Mine is open air which makes for chilly winters HOWEVER you've caught me on one of those rare occasions I'm thankful we life in the far north. I couldn't bear to look at the picture of that scaly beast.

Hee Bee Jee Bees!
barnie.gif

First, I think your coop is my all time favorite. I love how it looks aged and yet it is so well built. Our coop is about half done and I have no idea what it will look like when it's finished. 2nd what state do you live in? I sooooo hate snakes.

Quote:
Just a simple design I put together based on all the pictures I looked at on this site. The door itself is 3/4" finish grade plywood. It rides inside 2x2's that I cut the corners out of. The outside is rough cut oak that I figured would help keep the rain out when the door is open.

chickendoor001.jpg

chickendoor004.jpg

chickendoor007.jpg

Navychick, we live in south central Pennsylvania, about 12 miles north of Harrisburg.

Terrific coop! I love the look of rough cut oak and it is great that you were able to put some of the tree to use. When I saw the first pics, the only two things that I thought you might need to improve were 1) using hardware cloth instead of poultry fencing and 2) having the top of the run open. Given the next pics of the rattler, you may want to consider one or both of those changes. We used poultry wire to cover the top of our run and it works great - but then our run is 6 feet tall at the shortest point.

Back
Top Bottom