Coop landscaping

I have endless summer hydrangeas planted on the South side, under the window. They grow very slowly and I don't expect them to ever reach the window. Originally I was going to put a window box up but started worrying about raccoons sitting in it and terrorizing the girls. No thanks.

I am thinking of putting some morning glory on the garage side of the run. It's not such a nice view. I've heard that it is somewhat toxic to eat, so we'll see about that one...

Don't bother with daylilies or irises - stomp stomp stomp.... same with hosta... If your girls don't free range, you'd probably be okay. Heck, I have a TON of daylillies you could have for free...

Last summer the chickens left the hydrangeas alone - I'll have to watch them closely this spring as they start to sprout leaves. The photo is from last summer and they were first year plants so they're not much taller than 18 inches.

In front of the run I put antique paver bricks. Keeps my feet clean. And it's not in the picture but I have a very large raw granite step in front of the human door to the coop now.

IMG_2995.jpg

No I didn't put any base down before the stones....just loosened the dirt and tried to make as flat as possible to puzzle them in.

yeah....I've read that morning glories are poisonous too. Originally I had a bunch growing over mine by accident (they over grew from a trellis nearby but what gave me the idea to do some kind of "roof" in vine rather than building materials. At first I though I could keep the trellis far enough away from the side of the pen so chickens couldn't reach the plant but once the morning glories would have reached the top to shade the roof all the seeds would be falling all over in the pen so decided on Jasmine. Do they drop tons of seeds like morning glories?

Morning glorys are poisones!
sickbyc.gif
Dayliles are edible you can eat the whole plant...I have sunflowers planted down my run and the chickens pull the leaves and eat them!!Wish the squirrels would leave them alone,
hit.gif
they eat the flowers right off.. You could look into non toxic vines even a grapevine, cover and food ...YUM!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom