1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop layout (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hockeygirl56, Jun 3, 2011.

1. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to lay out my coop. Here is a rough sketch of my coop dimensions and what I know at this point for my layout. I was going to put the food bin (metal garbage can) on the wall by the door since that door makes the wall basically non-useful for much else.
    [​IMG]

My original plan was to put the nest boxes on the other short wall, then put a poop board or some sort of boot tray or something on top of the boxes, and build the roost above that - like this (minus the roost b/c I can't make a 3D drawing - but you get the idea):
    [​IMG]

However, I was thinking about it and my coop is a lean-to - about 6' high on the tall side, down to about 5' high on the low side - and that's roof height, not including the trusses and stuff. So I think it might not be high enough to get enough roosting space in there. BTW, I have 6 chickens, and yes I know that's way too many nest boxes for them, but I wanted to think ahead in case I grow my flock someday down the road.

So now I'm contemplating moving the roost on the wall opposite the window and next to the nest boxes, and either hanging the food/water under the poop board there, or elevating the nest boxes off the floor if I have nothing to go underneath anyway and hanging the food/water under that. One concern I have is if they like to hang out where they can see out of the window, and I elevate my nest boxes, will they be hanging out on top of there and making a mess? I suppose either way they will probably hop up there, just thinking it might be more of a hangout zone if they can see out the window from up there. One bonus of elevating the boxes though is not having to bend over to get eggs/clean it out, being that I have a bad back already [​IMG]

Here are some outside pics of the coop/shed so far to give everyone a better idea of what we are working at - obviously a work in progress but hopefully completely done by next weekend. [​IMG]
    Front view:
    [​IMG]
    Coop side view:
    [​IMG]

Any and all suggestions and ideas are welcome! I want to do this right the first time!!!

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Wow that is going to be a nice coop [​IMG]

3. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG- Very Nice Barn! did you say 6 chickens or 60 ? [​IMG]
    you have very Lucky chickens- thats a huge chicken coop. will you enclose a part of it for them, or enclose a part of it for things you dont want them near- feed , tools , etc-
    I will be waiting for updated pics [​IMG] i definitely have Coop Envy!

4. hockeygirl56

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    That's what everyone says that looks at the pictures [​IMG] The lean-to part is for the chickens - there will be a wall dividing the shed and the lean-to with a door for me to get in and out. I have to go into the shed to get into the lean-to - and I have to go in through the lean-to door to get into the run - I'm hoping the extra barriers plus good fencing on the run will eliminate any predator issues. The shed will be used as storage for now - we also made it this big to plan ahead in case we decide to get more animals in the future.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hey, you want to practice reconstructing it in my yard until you are sure of what you want?! [​IMG]

6. hockeygirl56

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    Quote:Gonna have to pass on that one! [​IMG] It's been 3 weeks so far and I'm SO tired of building it - and my back is blown from spending 4 hrs straight on the ground building my nest boxes yesterday. But...the girls are not happy about going back in their brooder at night and we have to go away for a weekend in a couple weeks so I need it to be done soon!

7. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    [​IMG] That coop/barn is dreamy!!

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    NICE!!! [​IMG]

9. hockeygirl56

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    Thanks for all the compliments!! But please give me some thoughts/ideas/opinions on the best plan for the layout...I don't know what to do!

10. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    If it were me, I would put an enclosed area inside the entry door from the shed (like walls with wire instead of plywood), so that you can enter without worrying about chickens running out or being behind the door, etc. (or maybe make the door swing out into the shed) And you could put a screen door there to enter the chicken area. If you build an entry-way, you could put your nestboxes on the inside of one of those walls with access from your side so you could collect eggs without going into the chicken area. You could also build the entry large enough to house your food and supplies withouth the chickens being able to get to them. It wouldn't need to be very big if you make the door swing out instead of in. I would sketch this for you, but my scanner isn't working.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by