coop light question

critterwhisper

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Hi all:) i had a kinda dumb question. All my chicks are all in the coop, i have a heat bulb hanging in the coop,with finally spring here, can i switch the heat bulb to a regular household light bulb in the brooder lamp? Or are the brooder lamps only made to hold a heat bulb? Thanks :)

Hi all:) i had a kinda dumb question. All my chicks are all in the coop, i have a heat bulb hanging in the coop,with finally spring here, can i switch the heat bulb to a regular household light bulb in the brooder lamp? Or are the brooder lamps only made to hold a heat bulb? Thanks
smile.png
You can put any wattage (stay below 100 watts) standard thread bulb in a brooder lamp. I would remove the brooder lamp and only use it in the depths of Winter. I do not know your location but now that Spring has come the daylight has substantially increased and you don't want to compound coop heat build up in the coop with a heat source. You could certainly have a light with an on/off switch if you plan on night visits.

I agree. Also, they sleep better in the dark. If they don't need heat, you don't want to have a light on at all, unless you use it to add a few daylight hours for egg production, or just use it briefly when you are in the coop at night.

Thanks, i wasnt for sure on that,and with the girls mostly outside all day, i figured they would want a light on at night. Opps.. but hey that will save me on electric. Our weather in indiana has warmed up at nights,if we are not having rain. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom