coop lighting

cyan23

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
Paw Paw Mi
Hello all. I am between building a coop in the back of our garage and one in the run connected to it. I have a question about lighting. The backroom coop is what we are leaning towards but are concerned about the amount of lighting they would receive. I would have windows to the main part of the garage and one to the lean-to, but am concerned that would not be enough light. The garage windows would be pointing north and lean-to would be to the west. Neither of them would be incredibly bright for sure. Again the garage coop would be more ideal and less costly. I am most concerned about winter being in Michigan they would be in the coop most of the day, whereas during warmer months free-ranging. Maybe some sort of sun light in the coop?

Hello all.  I am between building a coop in the back of our garage and one in the run connected to it.  I have a question about lighting.  The backroom coop is what we are leaning towards but are concerned about the amount of lighting they would receive.  I would have windows to the main part of the garage and one to the lean-to, but am concerned that would not be enough light.  The garage windows would be pointing north and lean-to would be to the west.  Neither of them would be incredibly bright for sure.  Again the garage coop would be more ideal and less costly.  I am most concerned about winter being in Michigan they would be in the coop most of the day, whereas during warmer months free-ranging.  Maybe some sort of sun light in the coop?
I bought a 16 inch led strip light at lowes plugged into a timer and it lights the entire coop. No heat or fire danger with the led,being so close to the garage it should be simple to get to electricity.

With the coop next to the garage shouldn't be a big issue getting electricity and light in there. Also with cold weather or not they will be outside most of the time in winter. At least mine are snow or not and it gets pretty cold here.

Back
Top Bottom