coop litter methods?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by YolandaT, May 23, 2010.

1. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I read that people choose to use the deep litter method - but what does this mean, and what other methods are there?

My coop has a plywood floor. I put a scrap piece of wood under the roosts that I can take out and hose down. About 1" of pine shavings in the coop that is swept out monthly and put into compost.

What kind of "method" am I using? What are the pros/cons of the different methods?

2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I do this exact "method" (excepts for the extra wood under the roost bars). Anyway, hope someone has insight!

3. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not quite sure of the Pros and Cons of the DLM but I do know this that I use the DLM in my coop only because it is on the ground so it keeps their feet warm and makes for easy clean up when it is time for the clean up which for me is twice a year I just add DE and turn it when I need to I also have a Poo pit under the roost so I rake it up often.

Maybe one of our other chicken owners can help you wi9th this one But if you wanna do it the way you are doing iot and it works for you than by all means keep doing it.

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the deep litter method on a dirt floor. I use 8-12" of straw, and I just add new straw to the old about once a month. The chickens keep it turned for me by scratching around in it for the sunflower seeds I throw in there every day. I do a complete clean out only once or twice a year and have a huge amount of compost from it for my garden. When the straw stays on the dirt floor for so long it breaks down and turns into compost without having to put it somewhere else to let it break down. I don't get flies or odor in my coops.
    I don't have poop boards or pits.
    I live in a very dry climate and this has worked out really well for me for 40 some years. I understand straw and a wet climate is asking for trouble though.

I forgot to add that I don't use DE or stall dry, don't need it with such dry conditions.

Last edited: May 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by