Coop location question from a soon-to-be chick mom.

hgottman2

Songster
Feb 26, 2021
Southern Illinois
Hi, all! We recently bought a new home that sits on 8 acres, so of course I immediately ordered chicks and have started preparing for their arrival. We now are only one week out, and I am still torn on the final location of the coop. I currently am expecting 9 various breeds of hens and one light brahma rooster (I am a victim of chicken math, and this number will likely end up as a total of 12 - I can't stop adding to the order.)

The coop will needed to be located on the east side of our property, which is unfortunately the same side of the house as our master bedroom. We are not limited on location due to water as there are numerous accesses and we intend to run electricity to the coop.

Currently, I am looking at 2 locations. For clarification (and because this group seems to like visual descriptions) I have included a rough map. The first location (#1) is approximately 50 yards from the house. While it would provide shade and a quick access to the coop, I am afraid there will not be much room for an enclosed run. The area with trees is actually on a hill which is located directly behind the house. I am also concerned with just how loud my big boy will be and if 50 yards is too close to the house. I am an early riser, but my husband loves his extra time in bed on the weekends.

Areas #2 and #3 have the same benefits and downfalls. Area #2 is around 75 yards to the eastern most edge where the coop would be located. The run would extend west. Area #3 is approximately 100 yards from the house; the coop would be located on the western side of the marked area with the run and garden extending east. There would be ample area for an enclosed run (partially covered with additional large netted area) and would be an excellent area to put my gardens with plenty of room to expand. The major downfall is that there is no natural shade in these area. Trees could easily be planted in area 3, but area 2 would be more limited due to the septic location. Additionally, area 3 had horses located on the grounds as recently as September 2020. I'm not sure if that could be an issue for chickens or not.. I am truly clueless as to whether crossing animal areas can cause any issues.

So, chicken experts, where would you put your coop? Thank you so much for any suggestions or advice as I begin this journey!

Attachments

• CoopLocationMap.jpg
    CoopLocationMap.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 31
I'd go with area three, as there seems to be a lot of flexibility with what you can do with it (coop and run arrangement, planting things, etc) and it's the closest to the water (I'm assuming that 'water' means water source that could fill a waterer but I may be totally off).

I'd go with area three, as there seems to be a lot of flexibility with what you can do with it (coop and run arrangement, planting things, etc) and it's the closest to the water (I'm assuming that 'water' means water source that could fill a waterer but I may be totally off).
Yes! The water sources are marked. I am leaning more towards that area, but I also hate the idea of not being able to look out the window and easily get a visual of the flow.

Yes! The water sources are marked. I am leaning more towards that area, but I also hate the idea of not being able to look out the window and easily get a visual of the flow.
Are there no windows on that side of the house, or am I just not clear on how far people can actually see?

Are there no windows on that side of the house, or am I just not clear on how far people can actually see?
I think I just feel like the extra 20-25 yards will make a big difference in my ability to see them since the run will go in the opposite direction of the house. Now that I’m looking out the window, I can make it so that the run goes on 3 sides of the coop. You are asking the same questions that I have been trying to use as an excuse to have them closer to the house. I think I’ve known all along that would be the best option, but am having a difficult decision. Thank you so much for the response! I feel better knowing that there aren’t any noticeable issues with that area.

I think I just feel like the extra 20-25 yards will make a big difference in my ability to see them since the run will go in the opposite direction of the house. Now that I’m looking out the window, I can make it so that the run goes on 3 sides of the coop. You are asking the same questions that I have been trying to use as an excuse to have them closer to the house. I think I’ve known all along that would be the best option, but am having a difficult decision. Thank you so much for the response! I feel better knowing that there aren’t any noticeable issues with that area.
I'm wondering if you could sort of rotate the whole setup sideways, so that you can see both coop and run from the house, even if it's far away?
Is your husband involved (will he be caring for/is he excited for the chickens), is he neutral (won't be doing anything with them) or does he actively not like them?
If he's looking forward to them/involved with them, and you really care about having it close to the house, then I'd think that he might be willing to sacrifice his late sleeping on the weekends, or sleep with earplugs or something of the like. But if he's not really wanting them or he doesn't really care about them, then having them farther from the house could be the better option.
Also consider: are you going to have an automatic door? It may be far to walk in the morning to let them out if you don't have an automatic door.

Last edited:
There are only 2 areas of drainage concern. One is located in front of the existing open face shed and the other is at the northeast corner of the circle driveway. I explored both options as potential locations, but noticed both would need groundwork. Fortunately we had a very active period of winter weather followed immediately by flash flood rains, so I was able to see the problem areas clearly. The three marked areas haven’t shown any pooling during the extreme weather.

Fortunately we had a very active period of winter weather followed immediately by flash flood rains, so I was able to see the problem areas clearly.

So much better than being taken by surprise!

A few weeks ago I went out in heavy rain to make sure that the area where the new coop was going wasn't getting ground water. :)

Also consider: are you going to have an automatic door? It may be far to walk in the morning to let them out if you don't have an automatic door.
Or it may be pouring rain, or snowing hard. Will the walk out there be hazardous, ie, slip and fall in the winter?

Our coop is by the garden in the summer, and then we move it up by the house in the fall. I was very glad for that in the winter, as the walk to the garden is down a steep hill.

Thinking ahead through all the seasons may make your decision more clear.

Congratulations on getting chickens!

Back
Top Bottom