Coop Location tips, and other Q's

dozer183e

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 28, 2013
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Hi all,

It was almost a year ago now I started the idea of building a coop. See this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/834170/complete-newbie-here

I didn't get very far but now is the time to start this project back up and get some chickens. I did clear out he hay bales, and have a flat, dirt floor in the shed.

One of my concerns for using this shed is that it gets very little sunlight inside. How important is this? They will be in this enlcosure most days, and only able to come out when supervised, maybe 1-2 times a week. The open space I have in this shed is about 10' x 10'. But now I am stuck, not knowing what to do exactly. The roof is high- maybe 9'.

If this shed location doesn't work my next idea is just building a tractor, but again, they wouldn't get out much, so the shed provides a better run.

Sunlight will help keep the coop dry, and chickens like to sun bath in the dust. Any chance you can replace part of the metal roof with clear plastic roofing? That would give you the light and sun you need, and keep the coop dry. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom