Coop / lumber$

Fashionfrank

Chirping
Jul 26, 2021
Wonder what the groups take is on this coop as a starter coop and or compared to the price of lumber currently?
it gets great reviews YET people say it’s cheap lumber ?

Attachments

• 2A4CAF0B-8A0E-45D9-8F75-8588F52B9924.jpeg
    2A4CAF0B-8A0E-45D9-8F75-8588F52B9924.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 27
For number of chickens, your best bet is to half the amount they say it fits and then subtract 1-2. So it may work for 3 chickens.
Thanks and from the education that I have gotten so far I don’t think I would start off with any less than eight,if you loose a few at the start and have a half a dozen that grow together that would do it for me.
im not so much “ afraid “of doing my own build but with the price of lumber I was hoping to find a balance but the trade off seems to always be low price=inferior product,build your own = high price of lumber 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thanks and from the education that I have gotten so far I don’t think I would start off with any less than eight,if you loose a few at the start and have a half a dozen that grow together that would do it for me.
im not so much “ afraid “of doing my own build but with the price of lumber I was hoping to find a balance but the trade off seems to always be low price=inferior product,build your own = high price of lumber 🤷🏼‍♂️
So we only wanted 4 chickens and we started with 6 (that’s the minimal poultry purchase from TSC in our state whether it be chicks, ducklings, etc). We lost 1 in the first few days and then 1 went to freezer came in January for making bad choices... so we have 4.
With that being said, my husband designed and built a tractor (which imo is really too small for the 4 we have, but I digress)

the website says the Gambrel Roof XL has these dimensions Hen house: 62" wide x 48" deep x 34" high. Assuming thats the rio coop portion it’s roughly 5ftx4ft so 20sqft. If you follow the 4sqft/bird rule you can fit 5 (unless they’re bantams)

for our duck house I managed to repurpose wood I found around our yard and in the shop left over from previous owners/tenants.

if you could find someone (craigslist, next door app, etc) that has scrap wood or pallets etc that they’re getting rid of free and/or cheap, you could make something better suited .

Back
Top Bottom