Coop made from swingset

mshar3

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013

Hi all,

We are new to chickens and wanted a way to utilize what we have and stay under the HOA radar. We decided the best way to do this was to make use of our children's wooden playset. We enclosed the bottom, using hardware cloth all around. It kind of looks like a playhouse, until you get close. We installed 2 windows, there is a dirt floor. We have a welded wire dog kennel for the attatched run. So far, so good. The chickens have been out there for about 4 weeks. Someone started crowing this week, but that isn't even very loud. Here are a few pics. BTW, the kids still play on the swingset. Even late at night, the kids were playing outside with a flashlight, and the chickens just went in the coop and up on their perches. Didn't even phase them. One of the neighborhood kids shined the light in the window and said,"Oh my gosh, I think there's a chicken in there! No wait it's a rooster!"

Mshar3

Sweet! Did you do this B/C of a regulation against something? It is a sweet idea anyway! I love that you kept the usability of the swing set, while making it even more functional!

The regulation is "No chickens". So we checked with our neighbors and tried to make it blend in. Plus, the more I looked in the back yard, trying to come up with ideas, the more that swingset called to me. Just made good sense. It was all open underneath. In fact, the kids had been pestering us for years to enclose for a playhouse. So now it's a hen house! HA HA.

Back
Top Bottom