Daox13

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
Richmond va
My Coop
My Coop
So,

I'm designing the coop I'm gonna build in a few weeks and had a great design and then ran across these and fell in love with the idea....
but I like to run the idea through my peers... so thoughts?

Last edited:
I am thinking some of your ramps would be a challenge for the chickens to get up.
My rule of thumb in a perfect world:
Make your ramp twice as long as the drop which would give you a 6/12 pitch and an angle of 22.5º.
"A 4x4 block attached to the end of your ramp to make a step up will do a lot to reduce the slope also."

Then again if it works do not try to fix it.

Yeah I'm thinking I will do a spiral staircase and that way I can control the angle but very good points and I appreciate them very much!

That is freakin' awesome. I'd never seen that before. I guess I'm so homed in on large coops I missed out on this. The cedar coop with the spiral staircase looks incredible, but it won't stop many predators. It just looks so cool! Do it and give them a secure run.

Oh yeah!!! The run is gonna be sandwiched hardware cloth and habdwire cloth burried bottom. I don't joke when it comes to keeping out predators. The ceder box style is my leading choice. I love the Windows, and the size alone would keep cleaning to a bare minimum. Plus, how freakin cool is it to have a "coopsicle".
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

I wouldn't say that the coop alone would be a good predator guard, however if you made a few modifications and fortified some you could make it work I'm sure

I have a flock of 40 so I couldn't do this, plus I just "finished" my new coop last week so building another one might upset my wife. I may do this next year and use it to raise new chicks out of the brooder but not old enough for the big coop! If you make one, put up a really detailed coop page so I can watch.

Back
Top Bottom