Coop ordered!!

Zonoma

Songster
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Northern Kentucky
celebrate.gif
The coop is finally started and will be here on Sunday! And BOY am I ready to get my chicks outside. Adorable and stinky little critters. All fourteen of them.

The coop is 4 x 6 (with external nesting boxes and 2 seven foot roosts). I figure after we cull the roosters, it will be just the right size (the run is 12 x 15).

Quick Question! I would like to put my coop a bit off the ground and use the space to expand the run. I would like the "under coop run" to be small enough to keep OUT standards but big enough for my Porcelain D'Uccles to get away from the others. How tall should it be? Does anyone know?

Not yet! it's 4 x 6 and I am setting the posts for it tomorrow. At this point, I'd take an educated guess as to what height to set them! I just want my bantams to be able to 'escape' underneath it from any hen pecking from the older, standard girls when they need to.

I tried looking up average d'uccle 'height' but all I could find was weight.
hu.gif
I'm kind of at a loss.

Quote:
Try setting your coop up at cinder block height (about 8") or so. The standards could get under there if they have to, but they probably won't bother to squeeze in and the bantys can comfortably hang out under there if they want.

My coop is delivered, installed, and (as of 5 minutes ago) painted! I have the skirt around the bottom but the run will be a little bit before it's ready.
sad.png
Not to mention it might take a while for the paint I poured on the floor to dry.
roll.png
I painted the inside a nice robin-egg blue and the outside charcoal grey. When I put the girls to bed tonight, I realized it was not a moment to soon. They are getting so big they won't fit in that kennel much longer!

Back
Top Bottom