Coop Pics and Question!

new2chickens

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
I posted my coop last Sunday after we built it, we finished the whole thing, just didn't have time to put in nests or roosts and the feeder and waterer hadn't been hung yet...so here are some updated pictures taken this morning.

Here is a pic of the nests
DSCF4326.JPG

And if it works (it never lets me post more than one pic?!?!) here is the roost and it also shows the feeder and waterers. Is it ok for them to be this close together or should I move one?
DSCF4327.JPG

Thanks
Sarah

Looks pretty nice to me.Good job!
yippiechickie.gif

I have my water and feed side by side and there are no problems with it.....I allowed enough space inbetween the two so they can walk in between them but I don't think it is necessary.

I can't tell from your pic is there a lip of some sort on the front of the nests? You may want to pound a 1x4 or something all the way across them to hold in the nesting material and eggs. Know what I mean?

How many chickens are housing?

There is a 4" lip on the front of the nest. It currently holds 3 chickens, but I have 5 chicks that will be moving out there. It will hold 7 or 8 chickens in the end. I have one chick I am hoping is a rooster, then the current rooster will find a new home!

Sarah

The nest are as nice as any I have ever seen in my 30 years of chickens....a job well done.

I'd have to agree with Cheryl that you want the roosting pole higher than the nest. The higher it is, the better they like it AND it will keep them (hopefully) from roosting in the nest box because you do NOT want them to start doing that.

I can't relly tell how much space is between the top of the nest box and the ceiling but eventually if you do not raise the roosting pole, if ANYWAY possible for them to fit there, they will.
I also have my roosting pole turned down where they can sit right on top of the wide side of the 2x4 and bunker down on their feet. This also allows them an easier walking plank.
None the less, GREAT JOB!

Thanks for the compliments (I will pass them on to the hubby) The 2X4 actually runs the length of the coop and sits under the nests. The front cover of the nests goes down and attaches to it. They seem to like the roost the way it is and have been roosting on it. If I notice them roosting in the nests or on top of them, I will talk to hubby about fixing it, but as it is I can't ask him to do more work! He works full time and has a rather large barn to build!!

Sarah

I figured, they aren't to picky and if they are using the things the way they are supposed to we will leave it that way for now! If they start getting it wrong then I know what to fix!!

Back
Top Bottom