Coop Placement

wolfandfinch

Songster
10 Years
Jan 5, 2011
Vancouver BC
I live in the city (Vancouver) and can have up to 4 hens. The coop cannot be closer than 3' from the property line. The run must be entirely enclosed.

I have put it somewhat close to the house to allow for easy access, but I could put it *almost* anywhere.

If you have time, could you look at my placement (in the yard) and let me know if you have thoughts? If it's not cool to link externally let me know and I will figure out getting it on here - right now this is easier. Thanks in advance!

http://wolfandfinch.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/garden-layout-round-two/

Quote:
I don't have enough space for a tractor as I have a small lot - but I agree the smell and vermin issue is important. We already struggle with mice... Thanks!

Does any part of your yard have better drainage than other parts? You'll be glad to put your coop and run someplace that doesn't flood or get boggy when it rains hard.

Our backyard is basically level, so I didn't consider this at all when I sited my first two coops/runs. Before I had chickens, I never spent that much time out in our yard and certainly not during or right after heavy rainstorms! So I failed to notice that there are several low spots in the yard where rain pools after a heavy storm. I got lucky with the siting of my first coop in this respect, but not so lucky with the siting of the second one. With my third (and final) coop/run, I was mostly out of places to put the dern thing, so I ended up with half of the run in a boggy part of the yard. We've only had hard rain two or three times since I had this new coop/run built, but I'm going to have to fix the run with gravel and sand before we get wet spring weather, or be really sorry.

The other thing to consider is shade in summer. Where I live, our summers are very hot (90 degrees plus), so having a coop that gets afternoon sun is a bad thing. A closed coop in our afternoon sun becomes an oven. Even my open sided coop that is gets afternoon sun gets too hot in July and August.

Quote:
At this point our yard is a giant gravel lot. Gravel pits have been dug in for drainage, and the entire yard gently (very gently) slopes to the south. We've never had a boggy spot yet, and it doesn't look like we will. That said, I live in Vancouver, so I *have* to be on top of drainage for the run, and ventilation for the coop.

That also means that heat isn't a massive problem. I've put a green roof on top, and insulation in it (in the plans) so the coop itself will be fine. There is shade under the coop all the time, and to the northeast of the coop half the day from the coop itself. there should be a small amount of shad to the southeast in the morning as well because of a neighbour's shed. This is with the current placement.

thanks!

Sounds/looks good to me
thumbsup.gif

If you already "struggle with mice" (which presents an amusing mental image, LOL) just make sure you have at least the feeder, preferably feeder *and* waterer, INSIDE the coop and do not feed scratch out in the run unless you can do it in a way that you are quite sure the chickens are cleaning up every single grain immediately.

Also with a green roof in Vancouver you will want to make super mega extra whoppingly sure that you've got a 100% intact and durable waterproofing layer up there, and a good means of conducting runoff/leached water away from the run. Have you considered just growing lettuces in *containers* atop the coop, instead of an actual green roof? I know a green roof is more magazine-y and trendy, but containers on a deck above the roof is ever so much more PRACTICAL.

Coop location seems entirely reasonable to me
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom