Coop Plans From Texas

Chikenranchtex

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
My Name is WIlliam. I am new to Chickens and I am from the DFW area of Texas, I would like to start out with 15-20 chickens, sounds like a lot, however I have the space, and plenty of time to devote to them. My plans include a total run floor area of 196 square feet. and a coop space of 60 square feet (not including the roosting bars) If this inst enough space for the number of chickens, please let me know. The chickens I will be purchasing are Dominique, also known as Dominicker or Pilgrim Fowl, from what I understand a fairly uncommon breed, although on the rise, also a heritage breed. I want to help preserve this breed as well as have some fresh eggs for my family and friends. So please some questions I have are as follows:

will there be enough floor space in my coop for 15-20 of this breed or do I need to go larger?
I live in texas where we have fairly mild winters, what type of heat will I need, or will I need to heat?

I am planning to use 10' 4x4's for the corner posts of the run, and 1/2 inch mesh all the way around, as we have skunks and snakes , I will also be digging out a 2' space at the bottom laying the mesh under and replanting sod over it to deter digging predators.
the top will be corrugated plastic roof panels for the roofing. the coop will be freestanding inside the run.

I am still working on coop designs was thinking 12'x5' stacked nesting boxes. A door on each end, vents in the back and sides that will be propped open in the heat of our summer, also planting grape vines on the sides of the coop to provide more shade. .
The run will be attached to an existing shed, and can only be entered through it.
The coop will also be raised up off the ground 24". I shall be posting pictures as soon as I get these plans "formally" drawn up.

Thanks for any input, and please tell me if I am doing anything wrong, If i need to make the coop/run bigger. Thanks

there is nothing like a good plan! i have a 10' by 20' run attached to a 4' by 8' coop and have 15 chickens in it. just keep planty of food and water out for them.

Back
Top Bottom